Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
DR650se AchievedSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 52
    Andrew Pain
    11 years ago
    I will admit here is something serene about night riding, but it really isn't a good idea. Fauna in particular are super dangerous.

I'd rather ride in Columbia. (okay, not giving up much there).
    27 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I did, for a moment, forget that it's just going to be Rob and me on this trip.

Yea, there'll be night riding.

LED off-road lights. Check.

Why an 18" rear?
    28 of 52
    Andrew Pain
    11 years ago
    Larger wheels reduce the contact angle with obstacles. Large wheels means it's easier to rolls over stuff.

While people often look at front tires rears have the same issues.

18 is also a popular rear tire size, so replacements are usually easier/cheaper to find.
    29 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    18" purely for the tire choices and options. Important to remember that it causes an overall gearing change though. Way down on the priorities list unless I see a cheap one. There's a couple of companies that re-lace DR hubs to 18".
    30 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    A deer or pig jumping out when your doing 10MPH on a trail is not nearly the same "potential moment" as when doing 50mph on a back road. We used to love trail riding at night in New England and have many, many, many times encountered a variety of forest species. It's not the animals or hitting the animals that's the bad thing. It's hitting the animals at speed. At a walking or light jogging pace it's more like touring a zoo. It gives plenty of time for them to be afraid and run away BEFORE hitting them, and plenty of time for the rider to either stop or maneuver. If folks get the opportunity I highly encourage low speed night riding, totally different experience.
    31 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    My thinking exactly.

It does make me think about that awesome ride through the Gap in the dark. We do have to do that again this year.
    32 of 52
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    With respect, +50 watts gives you a 25% improvement in alternator capacity, vs. 2%.

I certainly agree with you that many stock regulator/rectifiers on Japanese bikes are still inexplicably wimpy/poorly provisioned, so upgrades there certainly make sense. I had always expected back in the day that they'd get better, but so far...

LED off road lights sound like an excellent idea--no street lights where you're going. Adding HID headlights would drop your highbeams (you won't be using the lows off road) from 60 to 35 watts draw. If the bikes don't have LED tail lights, that might help drop power draw as well.

Ian points out it'll be August, which means mostly warmer temps, but in the mountains and in the dessert it can get quite cool at night even in summer--and these bikes are unfaired. A vest and/or grips might make quite a difference if you allowed the capacity for them.

Plus, these bikes aren't just for the trip, right? So even if you don't need the electrics on the TAT, you might well want them in "real life" riding in the future

Just sayin'

rshaug wrote:
    Since these bikes have racked up literally 10s of millions of miles over the years in every climate, condition, and terrain, stuff like gaining small % of wattage is way down the list for me in terms of mods (although have always been up for replacing regulators/rectifiers with better units). Of course it helps that I've become better at keeping my "inner engineer voice" quieted down; to avoid focusing on the coolest, most electrically focused, or most difficult 2% gain items LoL. It never even occurred to me to think about power clothes for this bike, I can always pack a 0-volt sweater :-)....the only electrical things I'm considering are LED off road lights (small power draw+BIG lumens) because I actually like to ride at night, GPS/iPad/Phone power, and that's about it right now.

Top mods: Seat, Luggage frame (haven't decided on hard panniers or soft yet), bash plates, windscreen

33 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    LOL, yes D...the alternator change is a 25% improvement. However, I was not specifically talking about that with my 2% comment. My comment was more around how those of us who love science, engineering, and all things interesting, mechanical and electrical will gravitate towards finding solutions for problems that may, or may not, be all that important in a larger or more practical view. In product development it's like spending a million $ to increase performance by an amount that no one is asking for, but we know we can do. Just because we "can" do something, doesn't make it a truly viable, or genuinely valuable, proposition

As for the electric stuff. I've never owned an electric clothing anything, ever. This is my personal preference and I am not advocating for this approach or dismissing those who do like to fire up the heaters. Call me old school or just dumb, but I'm totally good with just adding layers :-).

The new LED lights are AMAZING!!!! I'm thinking of putting one of the Ninja as well. I saw these and immediately wanted them.:

28watts and *3600*!! lumens. Check out the video.
    34 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    On the vid look at it at about the 5:40 mark. That's something you can't do easily on the Blue Brick
    35 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, pretty much beyond what could be reasonably done on my beloved Blue Brick. Actually, this video captures pretty much what I've been thinking in terms of the most technical sections.

Honestly, there's no way I'd want to do that kind of riding on anything other than a real enduro. Even the medium sized adventure bikes would have trouble in this terrain I think ... the DR650 really is the right choice for the trip.

Video #4878
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    36 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

...beyond what could be reasonably done on my beloved Blue Brick...

I LOVE that you wouldn't say that it "couldn't" be done on the coal burner, just that it would be potentially not "reasonable". Awesome
    37 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    LOL. You should see some of the places I've taken it, although granted nothing nearly that intense.

It is my intention to go back to a few of them just to see how foolish I was as a younger man. There was this one washed out steep incline on a trail up the side of a hill near Thurmont to a fire observation tower where I did jump the thing over some small logs but lost rear traction and over it went into a gulley; wheels pointing skyward. I managed to bail and land on my feet. If you look, you'll notice the right mirror is cracked on my bike. That's from that day, about a mile from the nearest road.
    38 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    The "Yang" DR650SE is scheduled to arrive in my driveway tomorrow afternoon
    39 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Awesome! I'm going to be very curious to hear what you think about the bike.

I am surprised how my opinion of the DR650SE is. "Strange way to spell BMW"
    40 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Just for laughs to commemorate the odd coincidence of our DR coloring scheme....

Photo #823
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    MbyM-YinYang
    41 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    lol!!! Awesome.
    42 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Made a change, rather obvious now that I look at it LOL...

Photo #825
    rshaug
    11 years ago

43 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I *think* I may actually like the first one more.... this is what a moment of idleness creates LOL
    44 of 52
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    I'm linking both, but maybe the first one just a touch more...
    45 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Just arrived:

Photo #826
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    2009 DR650SE

Photo #827
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    2009 DR650SE
    46 of 52
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    ... There are now two guest bikes!

Ohhhh...*slaps head* ...I have a guest bike now! (I was never really keen on the BlackBird being a "guest" bike ) The DR is a great guest bike!
    47 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Excellent! Congrats!

Have you had a a chance to fire it up and take it for a spin?
    48 of 52
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Very nice
    49 of 52
    Jay
    11 years ago
    If its nearly as nice as it looks in the pics, you did good!
    50 of 52
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Let the farkle-ing begin.