Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Weekend riding - 10-11NovSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    No pressure LOL. This is getting pretty complicated for what I had originally thoguht of as a "Hey, weather looks good, lets go for a ride" kind of deal. Josh, I tend to agree with Yermo here that it sounds like Sat will have you mentally tasked, not to mention that you're probably looking at some negative spouse points trying to cram in things unrelated to the shared activity :-).

With that...If I'm the only one participating from Virginia I can certainly head North and meet people, as it sounds like the majority are in MD. My "goal" is just to go for a ride, with a preference for some fun twisty roads with decent surfaces...good asphault, not too bumpy.

If we move the start point to MD or a point halfway, do folks know some good roads to tear up? By the way, I'm totally good with going back and forth down good roads, there is no reason to trek for hours.
    27 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    There are a bunch of B to B+ grade roads starting about 30 minutes from here. Good pavement. Some twisties. Slowly gentrifying farm country. Road types range from open sweepers to tight technical (paved) small country roads.

Not on the quality of what we saw north of Baltimore or in PA, but definitely good roads. Duncan and I, when left with few other options, will sometimes head up to the area around Olney to tool around. I recently found some pretty decent roads that comprise a 1.5 hour loop or so. Caveat: On that loop there is a 1/4 mile stretch of "pavement ends" but it's mostly hardpack gravel. We certainly don't have to ride that section.

The biggest downside might be traffic, but it's usually not bad at all. Some nice places to stop.
    28 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    What I just read there was: "This will work"

I know, those roads we hit in the later afternoon were awesome, I would absolutely go back to ride Cold Spring Road back and forth all day But I need to be back at the house by 5ish (Lisa and I have something Sat evening).

I'm good with your local roads.
    29 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Done.

Shall we move the rallying point to the Starbucks across the street from my house?

What time would you like to meet up here?
    30 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Well this is crazy...Google has street view on Cold Spring Road...the whole thing: Just google map "cold spring road, PA"
    31 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Duncan, Yun, et al, anyone else want to join us for a few hours?
    32 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'll plan to be at your starbucks at about 9:30 on Sat morning.

Michael should come and use his Monster and start putting the Total Control principles to work
    33 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I just re-ran Cold Spring Road using Google Streetview...yes, it's as good as we remember it.
    34 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I'll have to remember where they are but there are some other wicked roads up in that area that Yun and I rode back when he had his R80. Wicked twisty untraveled roads.

For a couple years now I've been saying I wanted to head up in that area and just explore for a couple days.
    35 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    So Jay, change of plans. Meeting at Starbucks across the road at 9:30 instead of at my house at 9.

Anyone else in?
    36 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    There have been over 460 views of this thread...clearly some folks are being shy
    37 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Damn, I was jonesed to ride at noon. Oh well, I'll hang up my boots for Saturday I guess.
    38 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Sorry, it was just eating up a bunch of time in transit and I have a hard stop in the afternoon.
    39 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    No worries. Maybe next time.
    40 of 58
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Just to clarify: How much time should one set aside for this ride?
    41 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'm planning to be at the Starbucks near Yermo's at 0930 and I need to be home near Lorton, VA by about 5pm. that said our rule has always been: stay as long as you want and leave whenever you need to go.
    42 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yup, what he said.
    43 of 58
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    I can probably make it, but won't know for sure until later today.
    44 of 58
    Jay
    11 years ago
    9:30 at Yermo's Starbucks - I'll be there.
    45 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Excellent
    46 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    For thems that needs it:

47 of 58
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Which direction/road are you taking from the Starbuck's? I'm hoping to avoid backtracking from whence I came.
    48 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    <feels even more pressure to get this $%!$!@## code done ... more months of work ahead ....>

We're going to head north from here. It's about a 20 to 30 minute ride until we start hitting good roads. There are a bunch of nice suburban roads of varying types. There are also some really nice places to stop. Brighton Dam is pretty much in the middle of the area that I'm proposing we ride to, which is only 18 miles in a straight line from my house:

49 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Michael, I'm going to do 95North. I can meet you at the Starbucks across from the Springfield Mall at 0830 and we can ride up together if you want.
    50 of 58
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Rob, I'd have to go through Lorton to get to Springfield. What about in Lorton?