Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Superbike School VideoSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I figure I'd post this while it's fresh.

As I believe many of you know, I've never been on a racetrack and I've only ever ridden a sport bike once and that was only for maybe 15 minutes.

As part of student review at the California Superbike School, each student rides an S1000RR outfitted with a raised camera at some point during the day. The student is told to ride at 75% and focus on the techniques that have been taught up to that point. This allows the coaches to critique the rider in more detail. The track was really wet in places so I was going at 75% of wet track speed. Additionally, at this point of the day the instructions were "3rd and 4th gear, no brakes" which further slows things down. It was really hard to gauge how much the engine would slow the bike down so I went into most corners too fast and as a result went wide.

At this point I had also not developed any sense for how well the tires would grip in these conditions so that made me really tentative. In the 2nd lap you can see the rear end skip out as I crossed some water which freaked me out a bit. Later on in the day I got a good feel for how fast I could go in each section and would often feel the bike starting to let go. (I had always wondered how I would react to that. Once you feel it a few dozen times you get used to it and it's no big deal.)

As the video shows there's a lot I wasn't doing correctly.

I did improve quite a bit by the end would have loved to do a lap with the camera bike at that point in the near dry being able to use full gears and brakes.

I'll try to write something up about it.
    2 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    This is the camera bike rig:

Photo #583
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Me on the Camera Bike
    3 of 20
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Ah, that explains it. When I was looking at the pictures you posted on FB I was wonder what the hell that yellow truss thing was sticking out of your posterior!

As a true friend, I watched all 11:31 only taking my eyes off the screen to see how much chicken my fork held. So, how long until there is a shiny new S1000RR in your garage where once parked an old man's Merc?

Nice vid Yermo. Like everyone else, I am both petrified and jealous of what you have done.
    4 of 20
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Very nice--especially given an unfamiliar bike on a wet track.

I seriously doubt than any of us could have done better.

Looks like a great experience. Maybe someday...
    5 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    jpcfjr wrote:
    Ah, that explains it. When I was looking at the pictures you posted on FB I was wonder what the hell that yellow truss thing was sticking out of your posterior!

Looking at the photo again, it does look a little wrong, eh?

jpcfjr wrote:
    As a true friend, I watched all 11:31 only taking my eyes off the screen to see how much chicken my fork held.

That was kind of you given how boring it is. But it does give you an idea for the track and pace for when you take the course.

I posted a question on the BMW tech list and the consensus is that 11,500 rpms in 4th is about 135mph, which is what I was doing down the straight. I've read some guys race down the straight at 160, which seems awfully fast to me.

jpcfjr wrote:

So, how long until there is a shiny new S1000RR in your garage where once parked an old man's Merc?

It is tempting. I found myself thinking I could get one as a track day bike. Just ride it up to the track. Not a problem. But it's not that simple. I'd have to go up the night before. I wouldn't want to be baking in the sun, so I'd have to get a trailer, something to pull it with, a canopy, other gear and a bunch of stuff ...

So maybe I just put sport tires on the 'S and take that to the occasional track day ...

jpcfjr wrote:

Nice vid Yermo. Like everyone else, I am both petrified and jealous of what you have done.

You could do it, very easily. I also think you would have a blast out there. It's Total Control+++.

The hold classes at Virginia International Raceway a few times a year. Maybe you can join us down there to take levels I & II while we take levels III & IV.
    6 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    buffalo wrote:
    Very nice--especially given an unfamiliar bike on a wet track.

I seriously doubt than any of us could have done better.

Looks like a great experience. Maybe someday...

It was incredible in ways that completely surprised me. Hopefully I can find some time to write all this stuff down before it goes stale, but work is interfering in my life this weekend.

When are we going to go for a ride?
    7 of 20
    Ian
    13 years ago
    I'm sure it was a great learning experience. I've always wanted to feel more comfortable in the wet - ever since that one time years ago when I went down on a wet oily road, that is.

Can't imagine what it's like to ride such a powerful bike.
    8 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    There's an easy way to find out.
    9 of 20
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    I certainly understand about work interfering with life.

As for riding, very soon--I just had Bob's replace my left handlebar control cluster yesterday, so everything's working again.

Hard to believe that I'm only 500 miles away from my first biannual service on the K13...
    10 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    So when are we going to put those 500 miles on it?
    11 of 20
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    This upcoming weekend is going to be gorgeous!
    12 of 20
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    There's an easy way to find out. ;)

"Easy?"

This is another clear example of the Universal Constant of Motorcycling. Yermo rides more, Ian rides less. Ian rides even less than before and Yermo goes to the California Superbike School. I haven't even been able to get around to getting my bike to the shop for a tune-up. Due to work, that is.
    13 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    So you're saying I need to ride less so you can ride more?
    14 of 20
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Not at all. Ride your ass off. I'm not riding anywhere, so you might as well make the most of it.

This isn't exactly pure science, by the way, despite my use of capitalization in the reference to the Universal Constant of Motorcycling. More like the matter/anti-matter conundrum - why is there more matter than anti-matter? At the moment, I simply happen to be victim to some kind of Dark Energy.

The laws of the universe can be mysterious.
    15 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Clearly you are caught at the event horizon of anti-motorcycling. Obviously there is only one thing to be done.

You must join us to Deal's Gap.
    16 of 20
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

You must join us to Deal's Gap. ;)

It will happen when the universe allows it.

Perhaps next spring!

If the 'S is spoken for, can I borrow Duncan's Civil War-era Trailmaster?
    17 of 20
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Ya never know, we might be able to find you something to ride by then

Of course riding the trailmaster could be quite the adventure--did Yermo ever show you that article about the guy that bought an old Yammie 360 enduro and then (literally) rode across the country on it?
    18 of 20
    isurfne
    13 years ago
    Well, im thinking there needs to be a guest supermoto in the stable. Any takers? I'll let anyone ride my K if i can score a supermoto in the next 8 months.
    19 of 20
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Having a guest bike is a great thing.
    20 of 20
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    particularly if it's a supermoto/ard