Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
First Aid Kit for Bike/CarSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Reading this thread got me thinking I should probably put one of these together.

Link #4551
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

You're bleeding & the nearest hospital isn't near at all - Other Bike / Bike-related Discussions - FJRForum

Page 1 of 4 - You're bleeding & the nearest hospital isn't near at all - posted in Other Bike / Bike-related Discussions: Protondecay123's making me think now I'm an OR nurse. If someone's bleeding out in the OR, we have the anaesthesiologist injecting meds and transfusing blood products and volume expanders - as well managing Buddy's airway. The surgeon's burning, clipping, stapling and tying as fast as he/she can.But I can see where that might be a probl...

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//inde...

Any thoughts here?
    2 of 9
    Ian
    13 years ago
    When packing up the bike for a day ride or multi-day ride, I always take a hiker's first aid kit that I bought at REI. It's pretty small and has some good general purpose stuff in it.
    3 of 9
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Thanks Ian, I will probably stop by REI on Friday and see what kind of pre-fab kits they have. From that thread, the emt folks are recommending big pads of some sort and blood coagulant stuff as well as something to tie off wounds and stop bleeding. I suppose it's all about postponing the worst while you wait for the real help to arrive.

I like what the one person has written in that thread..."Don't worry about it too much, all bleeding stops eventually."
    4 of 9
    Ian
    13 years ago
    The hiking/camping/outdoor first aid kits have a lot of the same kind of stuff you'd want for a downed biker. I guess falling down the side of a mountain is kind of like having a low-side on a twisty road. The bike kit could probably do without the venoumous critter sample container, but otherwise it's got the bandages, ointment, motrin, etc. that you'd want.

Another rule of motorcycling safety is to not put too much stock in carrying a mobile phone. It could easily get broken or lost in an accident, not to mention lack of service in hillbilly country.

Hope you guys don't get rained out for your ride.
    5 of 9
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I almost always keep my phone in my tank bag figuring I have the best chance of getting to it if the bike is not on its wheels. I rarely ride alone in places that don't have cell service and when I do I am much more conservative in my riding.

No doubt the best things you can do are wear ATGATT and use that thing between your ears. Certainly can't hurt to have some first aid supplies.
    6 of 9
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I keep a small first aid kit under the seat. In addition, under the seat I always carry

1. tool kit with a fair number of tools allowing me to do moderate level repairs on the side of the road.
    2. spare headlight bulbs
    3. spare indicator bulbs
    4. small tire patch kit with CO2 cartridges
    5. BMW jumper cable
    6. buddy-tow tow strap

I also make sure to carry my smartphone with me.

In my bags I always carry:

1. a wool sweater
    2. a fleece jacket used as a liner under my transit suit
    3. long johns
    4. an electric vest
    5. Plexus plastic cleaner and a terry cloth towel for cleaning my face shield.
    6. a liter water bottle
    7. water proof socks
    8. a mini-compressor for pumping up tires.
    9. a fuel transfer pump for moving gasoline from one bike to another.
    10. cold weather mits.
    11. a neck "gator" for keeping wind off your neck when things get crazy cold.
    12. two pairs of sunglasses.
    13. a quart of oil

When touring, I carry:

1. a larger first aid kit with an EPI pen.
    2. personal locator beacon
    3. a much larger first aid kit
    4. spare parts including wire tires, hose clamps of various sizes, especially the small ones, epoxy, etc

etc. etc.

7 of 9
    Ian
    13 years ago
    While you're at it, you might as well add to the list the 12V espresso maker and flask of whiskey. Somebody could go into withdrawals and be unable to continue. I've seen it happen. It's a safety consideration!
    8 of 9
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I actually laughed out loud. Sadly, it's true!
    9 of 9
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I picked up a small kit at REI today. It is an Adventure Medical Kit that is Ultralight and Watertight. I'll probably get a few more items to throw in the bag because there is some more room.

Now to find a good place to keep it...

Here is a link to it...on sale too!

Link #4563
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

Adventure Medical Kits UltraLight / Watertight .7 First-Aid Kit at REI.com

Pared down to a weight-saving bare minimum, this Adventure Medical Ultralight / Watertight .7 first-aid kit contains the most essential supplies.

http://www.rei.com/product/695383/a...