Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
ABS Plastic RepairSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 6
    Todd
    13 years ago
    The hard cases on my Sprint have developed stress cracks along a plastic welded seam. I "repaired" them using Plastex
    Link #4691
    Todd
    11 years ago

PLASTEX PLASTIC REPAIR KITS

Plastex.net PLASTEX is the manufacturer of plastic repair kits. Plastex easily glues, fills gaps, repairs stripped threads and can remake tabs or small parts in just minutes.

http://www.plastex.net
    ) based upon recommendations from several folks. Upon speaking to the manufacturer about the repair I was told if the crack returned it would be adjacent to the repair. Exactly what happened. I repaired the new crack and am working to identify the source of the stress. And now the old repair has failed (clearly didn't find the correct source, yet).

Anyone have suggestions for ABS repair? I cannot get access to the crack from the inside of the cases due to weird design issues so the repair will be on the outside of the cases.
    2 of 6
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    In my experience with other materials, once you start having stress cracks you're probably dealing with a design flaw ... you can spend endless time trying to reinforce it, but I fear you'll end up just having to replace them.
    3 of 6
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    There are "ABS welders" out there that might be worth experimenting with:

Link #4693
    buffalo
    11 years ago

Todd wrote:
    The hard cases on my Sprint have developed stress cracks along a plastic welded seam. I "repaired" them using Plastex
    Link #4691
    Todd
    11 years ago

PLASTEX PLASTIC REPAIR KITS

Plastex.net PLASTEX is the manufacturer of plastic repair kits. Plastex easily glues, fills gaps, repairs stripped threads and can remake tabs or small parts in just minutes.

http://www.plastex.net
    ) based upon recommendations from several folks. Upon speaking to the manufacturer about the repair I was told if the crack returned it would be adjacent to the repair. Exactly what happened. I repaired the new crack and am working to identify the source of the stress. And now the old repair has failed (clearly didn't find the correct source, yet).

Anyone have suggestions for ABS repair? I cannot get access to the crack from the inside of the cases due to weird design issues so the repair will be on the outside of the cases.
    4 of 6
    Todd
    13 years ago
    I do think it is a design flaw and have heard of others having similar problems. However, I am not hearing that the majority are having this happen.

The challenge on replacement is that parts are becoming obsolete and the bike is only an 01. I had a hella hard time getting the factory luggage rack as they were all sold out in the US.

I am considering the plastic welder since that may be easier than trying to source new cases.
    5 of 6
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    Have you gone over to 1 to see if anyone there has some ideas on why it's cracking where it is?

Do you have any pictures you could share?
    6 of 6
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Another bug. need to put an http:// in front of that link: