Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Tire optionsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    The Sprint is in need of skins. I've got Dunlop Roadsmarts on it now and I've been very pleased with the performance. Corner well, good in the wet, great mileage and provide pretty good feedback.

All in all, I'm happy. So why not just buy them again???...well I might, BUT I thought I would hear from others with a bit more riding years under their belts on what other options I should consider.

The only other tire I have any real experience with is the original Michelin Pilot Roads, which seemed ok to me, but I didn't spend enough time with them to really know.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    2 of 9
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I've run Metzeler Z6's for a crazy number of years. They are reasonably sticky sport touring tires. I get about 6000 miles out of them.

I always replace the front and rear at the same time.

In Spokane, I couldn't get Z6's so had to defect and put a set of Michelin Pilot Road 2's on. Strangely I found the bike handled so much better with the Michelins than with the Metzelers. The profile of the tire let me lean with much more confidence.

I also got about 6000 miles out of those tires. In Calgary I couldn't get Michelins so went back to Metzelers.

The next set that goes on my bike will be the MIchelins. I have to say I prefer them.

I am deeply suspicious of any tire that lasts 10,000 miles. IMHO, just not sticky enough.
    3 of 9
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    I've heard good things about the Pilot Road 2's.

I've also head good things about the new Pirelli Angel tires...not sure how I feel about Pirelli's in general.

Also Avon has a new sport touring tire out that people seem to like.
    4 of 9
    JohnnyDanger
    13 years ago
    I've tried most of the available sport touring tires over the years and have come to conclude that my favorite are Pirelli Diablo Strada. They're a dual compound tire with a harder center that last quite well, are reasonably sticky, and handle great for much of their life. I quickly realized that my K1200R would eat the centers out of non-dual compound tires and they would square off fairly quickly, leading to poor handling while the tire still had about 50% life left. The Pirelli are definitely a different profile than the Michelins (and WAY different than Pilot Powers), but I got to like it as they are a very linear tire. Easy to ride, predictable, and long lasting. Definitely worth the extra $10-20 per tire.
    5 of 9
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    This has been my exact experience on my K13S. The stock M3 Sportecs are uber sticky. But after 3k, the center on the rear was almost smooth. My front was still OK, so I replaced my rear with another M3 to match, but I'm probaby moving to the Pirelli or Michelin dual compounds at 6k.

@Sprint KS--I've not used Pirellis on a bike before, but they make excellent car tires. The P600s on my old GTI were very nice for performance driving

I've tried most of the available sport touring tires over the years and have come to conclude that my favorite are Pirelli Diablo Strada. They're a dual compound tire with a harder center that last quite well, are reasonably sticky, and handle great for much of their life. I quickly realized that my K1200R would eat the centers out of non-dual compound tires and they would square off fairly quickly, leading to poor handling while the tire still had about 50% life left. The Pirelli are definitely a different profile than the Michelins (and WAY different than Pilot Powers), but I got to like it as they are a very linear tire. Easy to ride, predictable, and long lasting. Definitely worth the extra $10-20 per tire.
    6 of 9
    Todd
    13 years ago
    I have run Z6s on my Sprint for years. I had the Bridgestone 020s and couldn't wait to get them off. I too am in need of a new rear tire.

I "upgraded" to the Z6 Interact and liked the change. Tire wear was similar to the older ones but they warmed up really fast and were confident in the rain at Deal's Gap and BRP. I hit the side wear bars on them before the center was worn but that is mostly due to the lack of slab.

I get typically 6K on the rear and am about to put my third rear for the same front but I may change that out too due to age. I need to confirm the mileage on that front.

Another Sprint owner I ride with runs PR2s and likes them a lot. And I have heard great things about the Avon Storms.
    7 of 9
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I'm late to the party here but I replaced my Bridgestone 021 tires with the PR2. So far I have 4000 miles on the back and 2000 on the front and they are working quite nicely. As this is my first motorcycle, I don't have much else to offer other than the Bridgestones sucked and the PR2 is very nice with even wear under both spirited twisties and slab.
    8 of 9
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    Anyone tried the new Pirelli Angel ST? I'm hearing great reviews and as of right now the direction I'm leaning.
    9 of 9
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Nope. If you do get them, please post a short review after you've put some mileage on them. I'd be very interested.