Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    My apologies in advance for those clicking on this thread and expecting a detailed discussion of oil and its impact on world affairs, the environment, or socio-economic value...

I need help deciding what kind of oil to run in my Yamaha FJR motor. With 12,000 miles and an oil change to do this weekend, I must decide if I go to synthetic oil or not.

I have seen this arguement hashed out on forum after forum. I'd like to think that the people here are a bit more practical than on your average motorcycle forum.

Bottom line question is this: Is it worth the money to go to synthetic knowing I can't go back to dino once I put the synthetic down the funnel?

Your collective wisdom is greatly appreciated.
    2 of 19
    Ian
    14 years ago
    IMHO, it doesn't matter. Change the oil and filter regularly and use a quality oil designed for motorcycles.
    3 of 19
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    If you are religious about changing your oil and believe you'll never go over, then I wouldn't worry about it.

If, however, you run in extreme heat, extreme cold and/or tend to want to run your oil changes more than 3000 miles, then I'd definitely go with a quality synthetic. I've been running Mobil 1 in my bike for 18 years now and changing the oil every 5,000 to 6,000 miles, which is longer than recommended.
    4 of 19
    buffalo
    14 years ago
    IMO, the benefits of synthetic outweigh the cost. Reduced friction, reduced wear and higher efficiency are "good things" (tm).

I'll never forget making the switch in my old GTI at 7k miles. Oil temps when fully warmed up were running about 185F; after the switch they dropped to a very consistent 160F.

Once the K13 hits 7K, it's synthetic all the way for me. My cars both get it, my boat will (if I ever manage to get 100 hours engine time without something breaking), and if I ever rebuild or replace my suburban's diesel engine, I'll run synthetic in there too.
    5 of 19
    mothman
    14 years ago
    I would suggest synthetic the extra protection is worth it. the oil change interval can be extended. it holds up to temperature extremes, oxidation better before breaking down etc...

only time I wouldn't suggest synthetic is in an older/high mileage worn engine, the oil tends to get past the rings or seals and disappears faster.

I use sythetic in my cars but the 2 smoke being old and is designed to burn the oil.
    I don't see the point.
    6 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    Ok, based on what's been written here and on conversations with a few other motorcyclists, I have purchased 4 liters of full synthetic 10w40 Repsol oil. It was expensive to be sure but I am hoping I can double the miles between changes thus making the cost a wash. Not to mention the fact that with 4 vehicles in the fleet, I'm getting pretty sick of changing oil.

Thanks for the input everybody. It's nice to have yet another decision off my plate!
    7 of 19
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    Semi-synthetics like Mobil 1 are fine as well.
    8 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    Remember, I can't use car oil because the Yamaha uses the same oil for both the engine and the transmission...
    9 of 19
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @jpcfjr Ah, gotcha.
    10 of 19
    mothman
    14 years ago
    just out of curiosity what is the specification of the oil that is required on the Yamaha

whether it's conventional or synthetic?
    11 of 19
    mothman
    14 years ago
    I was looking on a forum and this was posted which I found interesting
    about the FJR for 2007
    I don't know what year your FJR is but since the engine & trans has a combined sump.

""In order to prevent clutch slippage, do not mix any chemical additives. Do not use oils with a diesel specification of "CD" or oils of a higher quality than specified. In addition do not use oils labeled "ENERGY CONSERVING II" or higher.""
    12 of 19
    mothman
    14 years ago
    JASO_MA

oil used in "Wet clutch" applications.

"One element of the JASO-MA standard is a friction test designed to determine suitability for wet clutch usage. An oil that meets JASO-MA is considered appropriate for wet clutch operations. Oils marketed as motorcycle-specific will carry the JASO-MA label"

most car oils do not carry the JASO-MA standard.
    13 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    I have an '09 FJR but the specs are the same as the '07. It calls for 20w50 motorcycle oil... dino, synthetic, or a blend is acceptable. Just can't use anything with friction modifiers because it hoses the clutch.
    14 of 19
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @jpcfjr BTW, I wanted to apologize for the bad suggestion. Back almost 20 years ago I always ran Golden Spectro synthetic and had /completely/ forgotten the detail about the wet clutch. It's been too long since I've own a Japanese bike where that was an issue. My bad.
    15 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    No worries, I knew right away you were in a different frame of reference from me. Since both bikes I've owned have had wet clutch systems, I don't really know anything else.
    16 of 19
    SprintKS
    14 years ago
    Just an FYI...my local Wal-Marts (I am not a fan, but...) carry Mobil 1 full synthetic motorcycle oil. They have both 10w40 and 20w50 and I could be wrong, but about $7 a quart. They also have Castrol, which is what I run, but unfortunately not in the weight I want.
    17 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    SprintKS, thanks for the tip...I hate Walmart but I may have to swing by before my next oil change.
    18 of 19
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    I put the synthetic in last night and drove to work this morning. All I can say is, why didn't I do this 10,000 miles ago?

What a difference in shifting, sound, and overall smoothness. I'm kicking myself for waiting so long. Definitely worth the money.
    19 of 19
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    "Ayup".