The Mighty DR Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Thanks to Yun Lung Yang who provided the necessary incentive without having to say a word, the implication being clear "what are you, a wuss?", much was accomplished today.

Before.

After:

Photo #5310
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    After

The farkles:

Photo #5311
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    The Farkles

It was an impressively productive day. Yun suggested we turn wenches so I reluctantly agreed knowing that it needed to get done. Nearly 6 hours later we had virtually everything completed. AGrip would walk in from time to time assuming what was traditionally my role of "management" and point out things that we were missing. It was invaluable.

The driving light mounts that I purchased turned out to be a failure. They simply didn't fit the application so Yun and Audrey drilled the reflector brackets and mounted the lights there. The kit did not come with a separate switch so, again on Audrey's suggestion, we ran wire in preparation for me getting a handle bar mounted switch and relay for the lights.

The lowered Sargeant seat is MUCH harder than expected. It may not be workable but I'll give it some trial runs before making a final determination.

The Sw-motech center stand is a thing of engineering beauty. It fit perfectly. It's funny, but coming from a BMW background I'm used to things fitting perfectly. On the DR with aftermarket parts, not so much. The Wolfman side racks were a bit off and had to be torqued in order to fit. Very Annoying. As I mentioned above, the mounting brackets for the driving lights also did not fit. The headlight guard on the other hand fit perfectly. The IMS gastank had a big warning label indicating it was, in the state of California, not to be used for anything other than racing. I guess we'll avoid California. 

Honestly, I can't believe we got it all done today. It was a lot of work.  
    2 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    As everyone mentioned, the MIghty DR now looks like a proper adventure bike.
    3 of 3
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    many more productive day to come. My thoughts are always, better now than later. Especially when we are all ready to go riding. If we still have 50 million things to service and clean up... it was suck... royally.