Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Memory and Drives OrderedSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 4
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I've placed an order for memory and fast drives for the new server. 

After looking at it some more, it's going to take a bit of work and testing to get the entire m-by-mc platform running under Facebook's HipHopVM stack. 

So, thinking that best is the enemy of better, once the components arrive, 
    I'll field the new server using the existing software stack which means we should see a performance improvement of around 54%. 

That should be "fast enough" to make the site tolerable while I fix some bugs and add some features. 

The long term plan is to get everything working with HipHopVM and make additional performance improvements to get this stuff to fly; but before I spend a huge amount of time on that I really want to get maps and the ride planner built.  
    2 of 4
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo I highly recommend that you read these two articles. They are excellent and really highlight some key thinking around product and markets (that are highly relevant):

The first is from Wired (my fave mag): 
    Link #5299
    rshaug
    11 years ago

The Good Enough Revolution: When Cheap and Simple Is Just Fine

Get product reviews and news about digital cameras, computers, laptops, mp3 players, iPod, PDAs, phones, PCs, Macs and wireless from Wired.com

http://www.wired.com/gadgets/miscel...

This is an excellent wiki on Disruptive Innovation:  
    3 of 4
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    The wired article is fantastic. Thanks for the link! 

I used to be involved with a company called Disruptathon as part of my role at MoDevDC:

4 of 4
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Nice finds. As the old saying goes, "the perfect is the enemy of the good (enough)".