Much more DR650SE FarkleSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    3 of 34
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Oooh. Not the kind of toys I should see
    4 of 34
    AGrip
    11 years ago
    5 of 34
    mothman
    11 years ago
    Duncan if you really want a project here are some tech articles on rewinding your stator for more output.

6 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I ordered a low height Sargeant seat.

Now I'm looking into luggage. There are a bunch of pannier systems available but they all suck in that the luggage is not easily removable.

Touratech makes a very nice removable pannier system but unfortunately they do not provide a mounting system for the DR650SE, although they do provide the base bracket from which one could fabricate a mounting system. They may still be an option.

I'm also considering soft and semi-rigid systems. One soft set that I found that might be a possibility is:

Link #4602
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Giant Loop's Great Basin Saddlebag 50L, Black - CycoActive

Designed specifically for BMWs, Suzuki V-Strom, KTM 950, 990, Adventure and SE models, 690e, Kawasaki KLR 650 - and just about any other machine with the capacity to carry a passenger the Great Basin is our soft luggage problem solver for adventure touring bikes.

http://www.cycoactive.com/Store/291...
    7 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    An example of creating a custom Touratech mounting system:

(love the license plate)

Vastly more work than I'm up for, but interesting nevertheless.
    8 of 34
    mothman
    11 years ago
    have you had a chance to look at
    "shad" they actually have brackets that are made to fit suzuki motorcycles & not cobbled and kludged together.

9 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Good find. Thanks for the link!

Not sure if they support the DR650SE. They have a DR650RSE listed which is, apparently, the older model.
    10 of 34
    mothman
    11 years ago
    I did find that the mount hole locations on the DR650 frame depending on year went from 9 to 12 inches or something like that so its important the year is specified

I did see that many off roaders were using soft luggage or some sort of aluminum/ metal or hard plastic shipping cases not street plastic cases many felt they would not hold up to off road abuse.
    11 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea. Right now I'm thinking soft luggage with some kind of frame to keep it off the hot parts.

The problem I have with the metal cases is the weight combined with the fact that they are not easily removable. Touratech makes good light removable cases but no mounting system for the DR650SE and I don't feel like fabricating something.
    12 of 34
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'm ordering this package (the Expedition bags and frame):

Wolfman Saddlebags Expedition

These Saddlebags have two straps over the seat and each bag attaches to the Wolfman Gen 2 Side Rack with 6 points for maximum hold. The mounting straps double as compression straps to keep the load attached and tight. Wolfman has succeeded in creating a functional, sturdy and quick release saddle bag system that will act as one with bike and rider. No loose moving bags here!
    The Expedition bags are extremely tough and totally waterproof. The Teton bags use the same design in a more economical ballistic nylon fabric. The Tetons are durable, stable, weather resistant and dust proof. Both of these bags were built for adventurous and aggressive riders
    14 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I may very well follow suit.
    15 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Looking at this tank bag. It is apparently waterproof:

review here:

Link #4615
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    16 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Hmmm. says water resistant on RevZilla ...
    17 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    18 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Another tank bag to look at which has a raincover available:

Measuring things out on the DR this one looks like it may fit ok.
    19 of 34
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    Hmmm. says water resistant on RevZilla ...

Worth remembering that there's two versions of this stuff. The Expedition saddle bags and dry line bags are water PROOF, but the other stuff isn't. See deails here: 1

Note: The Expedition Classic Series is made with weather-resistant fabric. But these tough bags should NOT be considered waterproof since the seams are sewn. At high speeds or in very wet conditions we recommend smart packing practices of using Ziploc bags inside our Wolfman luggage and Seam Seal to treat all sewn seams. For fully waterproof luggage, see the Wolfman Expedition Dry Line. Learn more about Wolfman Luggage's waterproof capabilities Here.
    20 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, I was noticing that with regard to their tank bags. The saddle bags you pointed out I think are the right solution.

I did come across this tank bag which may be a viable almost 100% waterproof solution (if you apply the seam sealer they provide):

21 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    After some more research, I've gone ahead and pulled the trigger on the vast majority of farkles that I think I'll need for the trip.

Orders placed for:

Wolfman Rear Top Rack
    Wolfman Side Racks
    Wolfman Expedition Dry Saddle Bags
    Giant Loop Fandango Tank Bag

Oil Filter Magnet (to trap metallic impurities)
    Magnetic Drain Plug (for same as above)
    Tow Strap
    IMS 4.9 Gallon Tank (Black)
    LED Tail light (saves watts over stock)
    Larger Tool Tube to replace small stock one.
    SW-Motech center stand
    License plate stash box.
    Solstice LED Medium Beam Driving lights.

Things that the jury is still out on:

- water proof tail bag. I will probably just go with a matching Wolfman bag.
    - HID kit. i've read mixed reviews on the one Procycle sells. It's a significant wattage savings but I'm not sure based on what I've read that it's the right solution.
    - Windshield.
    - crankcase guards
    - upgraded chain guide to replace the stock unit.
    - volt meter
    - GPS. I will probably pick up a Zumo.
    - tube patch kit/compressor/tools

As for gear I'm looking at the Tourmaster Moab suit, Alpenstar Scout Boots, and an ARAI XD-4 helmet, but not sure yet.
    I haven't done any research on gloves yet.
    22 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    oh, and I've already received the lowered Sargeant Seat for it.
    23 of 34
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Most of whining I saw on the procycle HID kit was that they "didn't like the light pattern". On my bike, because of the huge difference in light output, I became more fully aware of how my reflector shape shaped the light--something I'd have never noticed with the stock bulb. But I'd never go back to regular bulbs now--the HID kit wins on light output and low power draw--hands down.
    24 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Bummer. Got my RevZilla order for the wolfman bags but they are no longer able to get the racks ...
    25 of 34
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Order placed with procycle.us. I prefer Revzilla. Those guys understand customer service. Procycle is not nearly the same level, but hopefully everything will arrive intact.