OHV Trail ride planningSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    starting a thread to add some rides of interest to exercise the Dual-sports... DRs, GS's, etc in the group. Some to start with that look like the'll be fun to check out, the links include maps, trail maps, and detailed info on conditions and directions:

Link #4529
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Michaux State Forest - Pennsylvania Motorcycle and ATV Trails

Free trail maps, driving directions, regulations, fees and camping information for Michaux State Forest in Pennsylvania. (PA trails and MX tracks)

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/...

Link #4530
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Peters Mill Run and Taskers Gap OHV Trails - Virginia Motorcycle and ATV Trails

Free trail maps, driving directions, regulations, fees and camping information for Peters Mill Run and Taskers Gap OHV Trails in Virginia. (VA trails and MX tracks)

http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/atv/...
    3 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    THIS will probably be worth a weekend with an overnight camping in the mix:

Info:

Developed Camping
    The Lee District has three developed campgrounds within 20 miles of Edinburg Gap. These offer parking for your vehicle (car, trailer or camper), a level tent pad, a picnic table, a post for a lantern, a small fire ring. Nearby, you will find toilets, and trash receptacles. Camp Roosevelt and Elizabeth Furnace provide a sanitary waste dump for camping vehicles with holding tanks.
    Little Fort Campground is a minimally developed recreation area near the meadow that was once a rest stop for a stagecoach line. There are 9 campsites and vault toilets. No water is available, please bring your own. Open year round.
    Directions: Turn right onto SR 675 for 1.8 miles to a yield sign at Kings Crossing (T-intersection). Turn left (north) and drive 7.0 miles to Detrick. Turn left onto SR 758 in Detrick and drive 2.6 miles to camp entrance on left.
    Camp Roosevelt Recreation Area is a developed recreation area at the site of the first Civilian Conservation Camp in the nation. The family camp has 10 campsites and flush toilets. Water is available. Open seasonally.
    Directions: Turn right onto SR 675 for 1.8 miles to yield sign at Kings Crossing (T-intersection). Turn right and continue on SR 675 for 3.5 miles to an X-intersection of SR 675, FDR 274, and SR 730. Turn left, still on SR 675. Camp entrance is 0.3 miles east, on the left side of the road.
    Elizabeth Furnace Recreation Area There are 33 campsites, each with a fire ring and picnic table. The family camp has warm showers and flush toilets. This area is a first come first serve area (no reservations accepted). Open year round.
    Directions: Turn right onto SR 675 for 1.8 miles to a yield sign at Kings Crossing (T-intersection). Turn left (north) and follow SR 678 for 15.1 miles to the entrance of Elizabeth Furnace on your right.
    4 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    GPS Coordinates for the OHV Trails
    South Peters Mill Run Trailhead N 38 degrees 47' 21.8" W 78 degrees 31' 8" 1728 ft elevation
    North Peters Mill Run Trailhead N 38 degrees 52' 26.4" W 78 degrees 26' 23.7" 1527 ft. elevation
    Edinburg Gap Trailhead N 38 degrees 47' 19.1" W 78 degrees 31'19.2" 1730 ft. elevation
    Taskers Gap Trailhead N 38 degrees 45' 55.7" W 78 degrees 30' 49.2" 1480 ft. elevation
    Wagon Road Trailhead N 38 degrees 52' 3.4" W 78 degrees 26' 36.7" 1359 ft. elevation
    5 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Recommended highly...I'll be putting this on my iPad and phone:

It's the big "Motor Vehicle Use Map 2012
    George Washington and Jefferson
    National Forests"

Includes detailed maps of all the areas shown here:

Photo #822
    rshaug
    11 years ago

6 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Excellent finds!

Sounds like a few of our upcoming weekends are spoken for, eh?
    7 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    When would you like to do this? Mid to late March?
    8 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    9 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Videos from the trails there:
    Link #4546
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Peters Mill Run 5-9-11

This is Peters Mill Run trails in George Washington National Forest. This video is shot from Little Fort Campground to Edinburg Gap Parking Lot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GiQh...

Link #4547
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Peters Mill Taskers Gap ATV Trail 493 and 497

Dirt bike ride on a KLX300R in Peters Mill and Taskers Gap recreational OHV area, located in George Washington National Forest. Ride begins from Edinburg gap...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pB3L...

Link #4548
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Peters Mill Taskers Gap ATV trail 493, 499, and 553 part 1

Riding a XR400 at Peters Mill / Taskers Gap recreational ATV ORV area, located in the George Washington National Forest Virginia. The ride starts out at the ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi7C...

Link #4549
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Peters Mill Taskers Gap ATV Trail 493, 499, & 553 part two

Riding a XR400 at Peters Mill / Taskers Gap recreational ATV ORV area, located in the George Washington National Forest Virginia. The ride starts out at the ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ucc...

Link #4550
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Taskers Gap Trail 553 from Parking area to the top of the hill

First time out on the new KTM 400 EXC with the Contour HD cam (both). First time to this section of taskers. This is the only OHV section in this portion. Mu...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAYj...
    10 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    As for March, do you have thoughts about when?
    11 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Not really...mid-march as you mentioned is probably about right.
    12 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Sounds good. That'll light a fire under me to get all the gear and farkle I need to the trip by then.
    13 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Oh??? I may not have ANY specific gear or "farkle" by then. Pretty sure I can handle an overnight or two with a backpack and some bungees

As for the bike the only thing I would really want on it before than is the new skid plate
    14 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Does your bike have the factory toolkit?

Mine lacks any tire irons. These are tubed tires so I'm thinking as a minimum upgrading the toolkit, adding a spare tube, tube patch kit, compressor.

My thought is to try to outfit the bike the way it's going to be used across country to get a handle on packing issues, etc, but I figure we'll probably have at least a few chances between now and then to do a formal dry run.
    15 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    bump, 'cause it got asked about on Facebook.
    16 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'll put together a tool roll specifically for the TAT, with a somewhat reduced roll for weekend adventures. I have irons and tube repair kits already (somewhere around here...hmmm) and am looking at new tires now after seeing those Canadian vids and reading this month's Cycle World.
    17 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I got the larger tool canister and am in the process of putting a set of tools together myself.

I like to bring "all the tools all the time" if I can even just for day rides. On the Oil Burner I have a pretty good setup. On the 'S not so much.

For the DR (Mighty DR?), I'll see how much I can fit into the tube. I got a set of tire irons that double as wrenches the correct size for the front and rear axle bolts.

I'm not sure what to do about tires. I'd be afraid that those hard core knobbies would be worn down by the time we got to any rough sections of trail. Maybe a tire change before we get to the mountains might be in order?

The video pretty much showed exactly the kinds of terrain I think we'll probably see in places. Lot's of open trail/dirt road punctuated but short sections of deep muck or challenging obstacles.
    18 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Bump.

Talking about going the weekend of March 23rd.

Looking at the site I don't see any mention of needing permits to go. Does anyone know if that's correct?

19 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    ...I don't see any mention of needing permits to go. Does anyone know if that's correct?

Special Recreation Permits for Designated OHV and ATV Trails
    Off-highway vehicles (OHVs), all-terrain vehicles (ATVs), utility vehicles (UTVs) and unlicensed motorbikes are restricted to use on designated trails only. Every operator of an ATV, UTV, 4-wheel drive vehicle, motorcycle or motorbike on trails and roads designated within the Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap OHV complex in Shenandoah County and all operators of ATVs, motorbikes and mountain bikes on the South Pedlar ATV Trail in Amherst County must possess and display a permit. Permits cost $5 for a daily permit, $12 for a 3-day permit (must be used on a visit of 3 consecutive days) or $30 for an annual permit. Permits are available from authorized vendors and from the Lee Ranger District Office and the Glenwood-Pedlar Office. For a list of locations where you can purchase special recreation permits for these two trail systems, go to:
    Permit vendors for Peters Mill Run/Taskers Gap Trail System
    Permit vendors for South Pedlar ATV Trail System
    Two designated ATV trails are free. These are Rocky Run Trail in Rockingham County west of Harrisonburg and Patterson Mountain ATV Trail System in Botetourt County north of Roanoke. For more information about all of these motorized trails, visit our designated motorized trails page.

20 of 24
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    21 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    22 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Here's a link to the ranger station:

23 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I just gave them a call.

No joy. Due to heavy snowfall and rain the trail system will not be opened before March 25th.

The ranger also suggested that instead of ordering permits by mail to simply ride to Edinburg and pick one up at the Shell station which is open 24/7. She also suggested that we pick up a brochure.
    24 of 24
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    bump