Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
I started quite the TAT bike thread on ADVRider.comSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 12
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Check it out:

Link #4639
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Am definitely thinking smaller and lighter. Before making a final decision, I'm hoping to take a look at Milners XChallenge. I'd really prefer a BMW but the DR650 is looking like a really solid choice for the trip.
    2 of 12
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Based on the responses and other posts the 650 class certainly seems on target. I'm thinking DR or KLR long before BMW though regardless. After seeing a lot of the options I simply can't see any justification for the cost differential, especially considering the likely environment this bike would live in (long term, not just the TAT). Even in the bigger classes the Triumph and Yamaha ended up higher on my list than ANY of the BMWs. Add cost (acquisition, maint, access., etc) to the decision factor and it becomes easy to completely dismiss the BMWs.
    3 of 12
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, I'm beginning to agree. I still want to take a look at the XChallenge, but my feeling is that it's going to be a DR650.

The DR650 or similar bike has the advantage that it really is a dual sport and is significantly different from what I already have. The fact that they can be lowered is also a plus. It would make an excellent trainer bike as I'm a big believer that off-road is the best place to learn.

I've been looking on ebay and craiglists. They are not as readily available used as I had hoped, at least based on some modest searching.
    4 of 12
    Ian
    11 years ago
    A few years ago after the economy first tanked, I saw brand new DR650s for sale on Ebay from dealers for as low as $4,500. Looks like MSRP is $6000 now. Motorcyclist has a buyer's guide:

5 of 12
    John St John
    11 years ago
    I am with you on lighter and smaller. After reading Andrew Panes' book: Going Small I'm becoming a believer. Also, I am fondly reliving and recalling my days on the 250 class bike and am anxious to give it a whirl again. I think I could use it off road and to let friends learn how to ride. It could also come in handy for quick trips around town, with minimal fuss.
    6 of 12
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I've also been thinking having a smaller dual-sport would be nice. It would make for an excellent trainer. I suspect a 250 would be bit too small for the TAT given the gear I want to haul, but I could be mistaken.
    7 of 12
    Ian
    11 years ago
    I take it there will be camping involved, yes?
    8 of 12
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    There will be much camping involved, hopefully not including gale force winds and hail when there are heated cabins just down the road.
    9 of 12
    Andrew Pain
    11 years ago
    I can assure you a 250 has enough room for a long ride, with camping. And cooking. Water was my biggest limiting factor and I was never comfortable for anything more than 3 days without resupply. I might have lasted longer but...
    10 of 12
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I confess the 2013 XT250 does sound compelling.
    11 of 12
    John St John
    11 years ago
    With a Bill Mayer saddle, It'd be perfect!
    12 of 12
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I must confess I'm giving it some thought. If one is available locally I may try to go take a look at one.