Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
The Trans Am TrailSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yun forwarded me this link:

So I guess I should just put it out there that there is an idea in the early stages of brewing ...
    2 of 18
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I sent it to you, because he did it on a 650gs and the other one did it on a KTM. both are relatively 400 lb bikes.
    3 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, I found that really interesting. Everyone I had talked to, admittedly years ago, who had done that trip had said you would want to do it on a 400cc bike. Now I'm wondering what context they were making that recommendation from. They were pretty hard core off-road guys and maybe they opted for some more challenging routes along the way. I don't know.

Now I'm beginning to think F800GS.
    4 of 18
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Francois and company did it on DRs. I don't recall if they were 650s or 400s. The author points out that the smaller bikes have limited range due to small gas tanks; Francois had a nine gallon aftermarket tank, so that solves one problem. The other is cargo capacity.

I would look at using a smaller, cheaper bike first.

However, if cost is less of a concern than the bike's robustness, get a kitted out BMW.
    5 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, I think Francois was the one who said the 400 would be the bike to use.

Yea, money is an issue. I'm just not sure I can do 30 - 40 days on a real dual sport. As Yun pointed out, the article mentions relatively big bikes and long stretches so it might not be so bad to go with a bigger bike.

Rob likes the KLR650 which might be an option. At least I've ridden one of those before out West when visiting Bruce.

I also wonder if the V-Strom might not be a viable choice.
    6 of 18
    Ian
    11 years ago
    The older KLRs had larger fuel tanks and are considered to be more rugged. "Older" being anything before 2008.

The V-Stroms are a bit more street oriented. I would look at a DR, KLR, or BMW.
    7 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    KLR= cheap; 6+gal gas tank + 50mpg = more range than needed (longest stretch without easy access to fuel is ~125miles in Nevada); huge aftermarket; did I mention CHEAP (to buy, own, mod, etc); reliable like a hammer.
    8 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    lots and lots of info:
    Link #4600
    rshaug
    11 years ago

ADVrider - Powered by vBulletin

BMW GS Adventure motorcycling message forums

http://advrider.com/forums/

Of course that can be a bad thing for notorious overthinkers
    9 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    A lot of time to spend on a skinny seat is what I'm thinking ... but maybe there are comfier after market seats available?
    10 of 18
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Lots of people do long trips on the KLRs. Remember the guys we saw on the BRP from Maine? Anyway, huge aftermarket for the KLR. It was a popular bike that went twenty years before its first real redesign, so it would be a good choice in terms of accessories. Gotta be plenty of good seat choices out there.

I bet you could get a good one for 2,000 and spend another 1,000 equiping it for the TAT.
    11 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, the more I think about it the more a KLR sounds like it would probably be a good option .... but I confess I am irrationally attracted to the F800GS ...

So, you gonna join us?
    12 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Looking through my Deadhorse trip photos I hadn't noticed how many KLR riders I met Out There ...
    13 of 18
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    I confess I am irrationally attracted to the F800GS ... ;)

The KLR is the poor man's option. The F800GS is the rich man's option. Take your pick!

Yermo wrote:
    So, you gonna join us?

Seeing as how my Monster is a proven off-roader, hell yeah!

Okay, maybe it's not THE best bike for the TAT.

You know I have trouble finding time for trips these days. How about if I just meet you at the beach in Oregon?
    14 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Ian wrote:
    You know I have trouble finding time for trips these days. How about if I just meet you at the beach in Oregon?

That exact thought had crossed my mind ...
    15 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Wow...just wow. High def video of every day from start to finish, as well as an excellent gear guide. We WILL do this. Watch the videos...get hooked.

16 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    It's just a question of which year. I'm going to run out of money in 2013 so a trip in 2014 is going to be difficult unless I find a way to fund it (and the rest of my life).

Having said that, I've been looking at bikes. I'm not sure I can bring myself to buy a KLR. I agree it's the right bike but for my own insane reasons I think I'm going to want to ride back home and just can't see doing it on a KLR ...

After having read the article Yun posted, I'm seriously thinking F800GS ... but, of course, that's a very expensive option.

But yea, we will do this. I have foreseen it.
    17 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Some of the footage is so reminiscent of some parts of the Alaska trip, notably:

Bruce and I, way back in the day just after he got his R100RS from Bob's, that I coaxed him into buying, did water crossings much deeper than what these guys did in their first few days.

Hmmm. I wonder how far along the TAT I could get on a K100RS. <just kidding> <well, only sort of>
    18 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    dammit.

ok ...