Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Had some miles to think...Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    51 of 58
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    that is one hot looking bike
    52 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Clutch you say? So many problems in life can be solved by ear-plugs.
    53 of 58
    Ian
    11 years ago
    As I Ducati owner, I feel I must ask, because I'm not sure what you mean. Is it because it's a dry clutch? Many of the modern Ducatis have a wet clutch, so I don't know if that's it. Or is the clutch lever pull stiff?
    54 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    LAUGGGHHHHH!!!

"Ummm. I hate to ask, but is there something wrong with your clutch? It sounds like a tin can filled with pebbles".

55 of 58
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Okay, that's what I thought.

I think it just requires a slight adjustment of perspective. If you expect your motorcycle to quietly purr like a Honda Civic, that's understandable. Some guys prefer quiet, smooth, obedient, reliable motorcycles, and they are entitled to a clutch bathed in oil.

However, if you prefer a more visceral experience, then a dry clutch just goes with the territory. Do not fear the noisy clutch. Rather, you should fear what shying away from it says about you.
    56 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I actually laughed out loud at the last 4 posts.

What it says about me is: The mechanical engineer in me hears noise and thinks something is "wrong". In machinery, quiet = good, noise = bad ... generally. Noise indicates vibration which is likely not desired. Noise indicates misalignment. Noise indicates stresses in metal parts. Noise indicates friction and fretting.

I would simply have a hard time getting over my conditioning to mechanical noise.
    57 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    For the Ducati, noise just means it's not broken yet. Think of it as a "sign of life" indicator.
    58 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I totally get it. Just understand I have been conditioned, or "programmed" if you will.

Also the v-twin thing does not agree with me so there is another strike against. Don't get me wrong, if you like that sort of thing I'm cool with it. Different (four) strokes for different folks.