Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Had some miles to think...Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Did a few hundy today. Down to Charlottesville. Rode around the university, up to the observatory, got a little lost trying to find my boyhood home, then out to the parents house. Took 28/29 there and 15/3/95 back for some high speed slab.

All in all a fantastic day.

Initially I had planned to take the BMW to Charlottesville. I took it to work two days this week and was thinking I'd take it today and then on Saturday for Total Control 2. After riding it to work yesterday, I decided there is no way I can take that thing for 200 miles. So I took the Yamaha. What gives?

I have come to terms with the fact that the bike is not for me. I simply cannot get comfortable on it. I think it is the refinement...or lack thereof that is doing it in for me. Today's 200+ miles of thinking leads me to the following: "If an item in your life is not enhancing the experience, you must move on". I've tried to get this bike to speak to me. I've put over 4,000 miles on it in 10 months. It just ain't happening.

So, it must go. Now I am starting to understand why people buy and sell motorcycles so much. You just don't know if it will work until you live with it.

I have also started to make my list of criteria for the next bike:

1 - Must be between 600 and 1,000 cc
    2 - Must have 3 or 4 cylinders (I'm just not a v-twin guy no matter how hard I try)
    3 - Must have water cooling
    4 - Must have a gear indicator...I don't like guessing
    5 - Must have radial mounted brakes (I like to stop)
    6 - Must have ABS and maybe traction control
    7 - Must come in under $10,000
    8 - Must be a turnkey operation...tired of fixing stuff at least right out of the gate

When I spoke to my buddy Anton he suggested a BMW 1000RR. All good and fine but that busts the bank unless I can find a decent used one. And it's definitely at the top of the envelop for size and power but not out of the realm of possibilities. The other MAJOR problem with BMW is there is no dealer within reasonable distance from my house. Same probably goes for Triumph. Not a show stopper but something to think about.

So I'm open to suggestions and if anybody wants a really nice R1100S ...
    2 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I had to look up radial mounted brakes. Interesting.

As for bikes, I'm not sure. My feeling is an S1000RR is a track bike. It's simply too powerful for street use in that you'll cramp up your arm from trying to control the throttle so much since 1/100th of a turn equals too much speed increase.

Duncan will laugh, given that I irrationally think it's a chick bike, but you might want to look at a Yamaha R1.

GSXR1000's can be had for cheap but somehow I can't see you on one. Again, it has the wicked fast problem.

Honda VFR800 or later might be an interesting option.

There's always the bike that Rob likes, the SV650.

There's the new Honda scooter disguised as a bike.

Then again, maybe you should consider expanding your horizons. The Honda Ruckus looks like a blast.
    3 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I'm gonna have to look at the FZ8...

Link #4645
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

2013 Yamaha FJR1300- FZ8- First Look Review

CW takes a First Look at the new 2013 Yamaha FJR1300 sport-tourer and FZ8 naked bike. Learn more at CycleWorld.com.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/10/0...
    4 of 58
    Ian
    11 years ago
    What exactly is it that you're looking for in your second bike? Or what is it that the second bike should have that is different from the FJR? Just a little bit smaller and sportier? Sounds like you're looking for something pretty close to what you've already got.
    5 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Ian, I'm looking for a sporty bike to take to Deals Gap and ride on the weekends. I am really interested in a Triumph Street Triple...could really fit the bill.

Link #4649
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

Street Triple | Triumph Motorcycles

A global hit since its introduction, the Triumph Street Triple fuses the style and attitude of the iconic Speed Triple with the performance and agility of the class leading Daytona 675 supersports machine.

http://www.triumphmotorcycles.com/m...

Just wish there was a dealer in my state.
    6 of 58
    Ian
    11 years ago
    The Street Triple would fit nicely, then.

The guys at my local Triumph shop complain that the Triumphs they sell never come back in for service. Change the oil and tires as needed, use the internet, and you could do without a local dealer.
    7 of 58
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    Triumph sprint
    8 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    As Josh knows, the Sprint GT was among my first choices but the complete lack of dealer coverage near here sealed its fate. just like the proper gear is because we dress for the crash, not the ride the dealer support is there for the disaster, not the mainenance Still important.
    9 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Why would I want a Sprint when I have an fjr with upgraded suspension? That makes no sense.
    10 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    The Sprint would only make sense as a replacement for both bikes, which you aren't doing. Here's a great bike:
    11 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I could cry...my bike...NEW...for less than $8k :
    Link #4662
    rshaug
    11 years ago

NEW 2011 KAWASAKI NINJA1000 | eBay

Find best value and selection for your NEW 2011 KAWASAKI NINJA1000 search on eBay. World's leading marketplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-...
    12 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    How the f...?
    13 of 58
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    If you want to look at something just a little different, but amazing, check this out:
    Link #4667
    rshaug
    11 years ago

03 HONDA RC51 EXCELLENT 11K ORIG MILES WARRANTY COLLECTABLE SALE 6299 | eBay

Find best value and selection for your 03 HONDA RC51 EXCELLENT 11K ORIG MILES WARRANTY COLLECTABLE SALE 6299 search on eBay. World's leading marketplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/03-H...

These are amazing bikes: built for a lifetime of abuse, overengineered like crazy, almost no aftermarket things improve on what the factory did.
    14 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Not really looking seriously because I have to sell the other bike first. Could be next spring before I find a buyer.
    15 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    The instantaneous technology depreciation curve is finding it's way into motorcycling. $8K. I feel your pain. That's a ridiculous amount of bike for very little.

The RC51 is also a lot of bike for not much ... crazy.
    16 of 58
    John St John
    11 years ago
    To through my hat in the ring, I offer this suggestion: Aprilia!
    And, I'd like to ask: are European bikes really worth about twice the price of Asian bikes, if so, why?
    P.S. If you want Good, Fast, and Cheap - here it is: 1
    17 of 58
    isurfne
    11 years ago
    I know you said you werent a V- Twin guy, but if you are looking for a fun bike for the gap or the track why not a supermoto? They stop like you hit a wall, have enough power to get the front wheel up in almost all the gears and you can corner like you are on rails because they have no weight. Granted, you will want to trailer it to the gap, but once you get there no one ( not even yermo) will be able to keep up.

Aprillia SXV 550,
    KTM 690 SMC R
    KTM 990 as the larger bore alternative

Anyway, if its fun you are after those would be my choices. Granted they super unpractical, but do we ride bikes because they are practical or because they are fun... and you still have the FJR.
    18 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Update: The bike is all but sold. I have a deposit and a BMW mechanic looked it over at the buyer's request and had no issues. It's all over but the crying. The buyer will be picking it up by Sunday. Thank you Craigslist!

Thanks for the bike suggestions. I plan on taking my sweet time before buying anything else. I didn't lose too much on this deal so I'll have close to $5,000 seed money should I decide to get another bike. I really like the idea of the Triumph Street Triple R but we'll just have to see if it's in the cards. The no dealer in the area is of concern.
    19 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Congrats on unloading it at such a good price.
    20 of 58
    FZMAX
    11 years ago
    I dont have any bike suggestions yet but John posted an Aprilia in a link from National Powersports in NH. If you are in the market for used, they are top notch. I just bought a used Suzuki B-king from them and the bike was nearly flawless, their pictures and descriptions were accurate and detailed. No surprises. Everyone from the salesperson I first talked to, the service dept, the people that handle the paperwork, everyone I talked to and dealt with were extremely nice and very competent. It was the best buying experience Ive ever had. They serviced the bike, detailed it, crated it and shipped it to my driveway. The paperwork arrived a day earlier and was complete with highlights as to where I needed to sign. Even with them crating the bike and shipping it to me it was still $1000 less than I could find anywhere else. I highly recommend them.
    21 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I'm glad the software finally worked for you. Thanks for posting!
    22 of 58
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    That's interesting--this is the second completely positive experience that I've heard of from folks who bought bikes from NP.
    23 of 58
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I wasn't looking for a Speed Triple but stumbled upon this...

Could I live with no ABS?

Or, with ABS...

24 of 58
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    The ABS one looks completely badass.
    25 of 58
    FZMAX
    11 years ago
    The R bike is nice. New they are $16k. If he has room to move a little that would be the one Id go for.