Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Ride Sunday?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Anyone up for a ride on Sunday. So far it looks like the weather might cooperate.

2 of 26
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Might well be--gotta try and make some more progress on the boat, but that'll be tomorrow hopefully.
    3 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Thinking about doing a solid day of riding out North and West into the hills. It won't be like middle Virginia, I expect most roads to be paved.
    4 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Let me know how it goes. Meeting up with some friends of Audrey's up in Westminster. The guy rides a Buell.

More as plans firm up. (I am so looking forward to having the ride planner built. That'll make this all so much easier.)
    5 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    And I need !#@%!#$@$# !# route tagging.

Duncan, what was that one little windy awesome wonderful road we found up near Westminster that went along that creek and ended up near that cement plant?
    6 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'm in! No dirt roads though please, between the tires and suspension it's not very comfy (LOL...I'm gettin' old). Let me know where and when for a coordination point.

Josh - are you up for it? We could meet up down here and then head North together.
    7 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Excellent. Yea, roads up here are generally paved.

The plan, if it's ok with everyone, is to meet here at my house at 10:30:

We may be meeting a couple on a Buell up in Westminster:

From there i'd like to ride out to the Catoctin Mountains along 77, a ride we've done a few times before but which is really nice:

No dirt roads on this one. There are some really twisty wicked little back roads that I've been on but haven't been able to find again.

I need to finish this site and app. A few more months of work ...
    8 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'll plan to be at the lair at 10:30.
    9 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Excellent.

Duncan might be in on this ride. I haven't heard from Yun or Josh yet.
    10 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Would be awesome to see Duncan (no pressure LOL). Will ping Josh the old fashioned way to see if he's in.
    11 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I'm tentatively in. Let's see if my house blows away.
    12 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Josh, we could meet at the starbucks near the Springfield Mall at 9ish, have a coffe and head up. Looks like a quick rip up the BW Parkway to Yermo's Lair
    13 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I've been to Yermo's many times. We could go either way around the beltway or through dc to 295. I'll confirm with you this evening.
    14 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Is the NOVA contingent good for meeting at Starbucks at ~0900? That will give time for a coffee before heading towards Mordor...oops, meant Yermo's "Maryland" Lair.

Starbucks
    6525-B Frontier Drive
    Springfield, VA 22150

(accross from Springfield Mall)
    15 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    So just for the heck of it I put Mordor in the destination in Google maps... 1

Is anyone REALLY surprised? lol
    16 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Laugh!
    17 of 26
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    I have to finish grading papers and get ready for an early Monday flight out west.
    18 of 26
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

The plan, if it's ok with everyone, is to meet here at my house at 10:30:

Yermo, that StreetView image looks like a Sasquatch photo.
    19 of 26
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I will not make it. Have fun!
    20 of 26
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Would that road have been "Sam's Creek"? There were so many of them though...
    21 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Milner & Yun, sorry you guys can't make it. It should be a very good day for a ride.
    22 of 26
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I will definitely ride later today. Just won't make it out.
    23 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Very good ride today. Let's do that again soon. I really did try to stay off the unpaved roads this time, but you have to admit the loop was beautiful.
    24 of 26
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    But for my rear flat, the gravel loop was fine

Awesome ride--needs a repeat ASAP.
    25 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I'm looking outside today and wishing I were riding ... but I'm continuing to spend my time working on the software backend for this site.

As soon as either I get the Beloved Blue Oil Burner's ignition problem sorted or you get a tire put on, let's go for an evening ride.