Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Pilot Road 3's?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 16
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Yermo, did you say you put Pilot Road 3's on one or more of your bikes?

If so, what do you think of them?
    2 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I have the PR3's on my K100RS. I hate to admit this but I think they are much better than the comparable Metzelers. The profile allows me to lean the bike much more predictably and I have to admit they grip pretty damned well.
    3 of 16
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    The PR3s sound very interesting, but I'd love to see a tire-rack like comparison of them to other choices.

My Metzeler M5s are very sticky, but very short lived. I'm thinking very seriously about switching to dual compound tires.
    4 of 16
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I have them on my rear as well. Very predictable tires I would recommend them
    5 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I've had them on the K100RS since Canada and I must confess I actually prefer them to the Metzelers, at least for my riding style. The bike feels more measured and confident in corners when compared to the Metzelers the latter which had a more aggressive profile.
    6 of 16
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    How awesome would a TireRack for Motorcycle tires be?
    7 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I'm not familiar with TireRack.
    8 of 16
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    "I'm not familiar with TireRack" How is this even possible??
    9 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    rshaug wrote:
    "I'm not familiar with TireRack" How is this even possible??

I was kind of afraid it was a thing like that ... surprising gaps in my knowledge living this isolated life under my rock.
    10 of 16
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Same thing, different rock. You're talking about something other than a rack for putting tires on? Perhaps it's a medieval torture device modified to punish bad tires.
    11 of 16
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Ian, it's probably one of the best tire sites on the internet--you can do comparisons, read reviews, then order tires that you like and have them sent to a local installer.

Link #4713
    buffalo
    11 years ago

Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels

Find tires, wheels and more at Tire Rack: large inventory of discount tires and wheels, plus tire reviews and ratings, custom wheels, brakes, chrome wheels, suv tires, car wheels and more.

https://www.tirerack.com/

Sadly, there's no such thing for motorcycles at the moment (at least not that I know of).
    12 of 16
    John St John
    11 years ago
    All my bikes have come with Metzlers, and every time I switched to another brand, I improved the handling. It feels, to me, as if they mismatch the shoulder profiles between front and rear. The last time I put tires on a couple of 80's vintage BMW K100's I went with the el cheapo Shinko Tourmaster 230 tires, and I was very impressed with the handling. They rolled off and onto center, deep into curves and back upright very smoothly. One reason I went cheap, besides being a damn Yankee, is that I like the feeling new tires give. And, I'd rather change my tires more often than to try and coax old tires into a few more miles. BTW: Aramid belted tires do give a nice light feel, (it was as if the bike lost 50 pounds) but I did have one out of four that just could not be balanced. It was a bit of a hassle, but Shinko replaced the tire for free. I got mine at: 1.
    13 of 16
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Oddly enough, when I went to Michelin's website and punched in my bike info, the only recommended tire was the Power Pure (2CT), though they make PR3s in my bike's sizes.

For the R1100S, and the K100RS, the had multiple recommended models, including the PR3s.
    14 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Michelin makes a Pilot Power 2CT Tire:

which is what I've been running on the 'S. MIchelin also makes a Pilot Pure tire:

Which confusingly says it has a 2CT tread formulation. 2CT apparently stands for "2 compound technology".

My understanding is that that Pilot Pure is an even more aggressive tire than the Pilot Power 2CT.
    15 of 16
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    My understanding is that that Pilot Pure is an even more aggressive tire than the Pilot Power 2CT.

This is Michelin's way of telling Duncan he should ride faster.
    16 of 16
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    If only the two compounds were a bit more long lived...