Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
k1200 rs, a new bike and a new era.Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 6
    isurfne
    12 years ago
    I have been getting the Miles By motorcycle daily updates for a very long time but its been a while since i have been on and gotten involved. Spring brings new beginnings, new bikes and a new reason to fill you all in.

So the story of the new k12 begins.
    It all started because of a oil change. I moved out of my parents house this spring and in doing so i realized that i no longer had access to the plethora of tools in my dads garage. One of which was the oil filter wrench for the k100. I hop online and take a look at MAX bmw's site and see their hours to drop by after work and pick one up. Low and behold, they are selling a R1100RSA at their New York Location. I chat with one of the sales guys while i was waiting for them to retrieve my wrench from the back and before i leave im doing a credit check for the bike. fast forward to the weekend, im home picking up a few things and saying hello to my parents and my dad has this great idea to go look at some bikes at National powersports (the local, used motorcycle dealership). where they had gotten in a k12. We walk in, look at it, sit on it and the sales lady comes over and asks us what we want to do. To my surprise dad says, i'll take it. Well at that point, i couldn't have dad getting a new bike this season and me still be on my k100. that would just be unfair. So i call up MAX's and put a deposit down on the R1100RSA. As the k12 is used it was going to take them a few days to go through it, inspect it and get it ready to go. The R1100 was still in NY and had to be shipped to NH. This was going to take way longer than i expected and thank god it did. The following weekend dad picks up his new k12 and rides it, directly to my house. My mom was already up here helping me move into a new place. Dad has me ride the k12 and that is the last time he has thrown a leg over it. I got the deposit back from the R11 and i havent looked back yet. We both agreed that it was not a bike for him and my mom to travel on 2 up. It is fast and powerful, but not really designed for 2 up touring. It is however a fantastic bike for one. Although it is registered under my dad, its my new bike. He is still looking for a bike We have both since sold our K100's, which was a sad day for me, as it was the bike that brought me into the world of 'real' motorcycling.

First impressions: The bike is Fast! properly, truly, fast!. Ive put almost 1000 miles on it in the last month or so and i love everything about it. Its comfortable, easy to ride, plenty of power and it feels light once its rolling. I hope to post more about my adventures on the bike this summer, but i feel as though many of them will be alone. Dad has taken to his garden and isn't too serious about getting a new bike this year. He want to do some rentals out west and tour around there more. ( i don't blame him, i just don't have the vacation time).

So, if anyone wants to join me for some weekend trips, possibly to acadia this spring and summer id love the company.
    2 of 6
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Bruce just picked up a K1200GT I think it is. Of course /HE HAS NOT YET SENT ME ANY PHOTOS!/. Just saying.

Post a photo of your bike. I'd love to see it.

Acadia you say? Interestingly, every August Duncan and a whole crew of people go up to a property his family owns up there. Big house on 100 acres of woods a few hundred meters from the shore in Prospect Harbor. At Duncan's birthday party I was talking to a mutual friend about how I said I might go riding with a friend in North East and she asked if I was going to go to Maine this year ... Hmmm. I /hate/ riding in Maine but ... maybe I could be talked into it.
    3 of 6
    isurfne
    12 years ago
    Here is a photo of it as im getting ready to leave work.

Photo #627
    isurfne
    12 years ago
    :D
    4 of 6
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Sweet!!
    5 of 6
    John St John
    12 years ago
    Yes, sadly: all miles by motorcycle are not created equal.
    6 of 6
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    Awesome! Congratulations! Prior to the k12 and K13s I looked at, I was thinking very hard about getting an RS.

Very nice bike.