Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Some progress madeSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 5
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I've been making regular progress getting everything ready for the Deal's Gap Trip.

Duncan had given me a couple of valve cover sliders for the R1100S. Before installing them, I wanted to replace the damaged valve cover.

As it turns out this was probably a good thing to do since three of the five seals were damaged and separated. I guess for any future "get-offs" this will have to be one of the things to inspect.

While I was at it I also spent an additional $60 to replace the plastic oil filter assembly with a metal one which will hopefully prevent it from leaking. (The stock oil filler assemblies always leak.)

I also replaced the spark plug cover plastic piece so the bike looks as it did before. Add to this an oil and filter change and it's looking pretty good.

Of course as soon as I fired the beast up I realized the valves are out of adjustment so I'll have to go back in and do that along with a throttle body sync. Oh well, more work.
    2 of 5
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Nice work. How do you know the valves are out of adjustment?
    3 of 5
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    We can hear them tapping. It's been over 6,000 miles and two years since they were done so it's time. If I had been thinking I would have gone ahead and done that first and saved myself from duplicating some work.

Oh well.
    4 of 5
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    Nice work--looks good
    5 of 5
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Huh. How can you hear any tapping over the ruckus that engine makes?