Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
PS3 Media ServerSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 4
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    So I finally managed to get some software called PS3 Media Server for my Fedora Core 13 box that allows me to play the videos I shot using my sony cybershot. I have to admit, the 1080p video that little camera shoots is impressive!

Now I regret not having shot more hours of video.
    2 of 4
    buffalo
    14 years ago
    More details please--how can this be reproduced? Only under Fedora? Or might it be doable under CentOS as well?
    3 of 4
    Yermo
    14 years ago

PS3 Media Server is a java app that streams media to your PS3.

It is reported to run under Windows or Linux. You have to have a recent java install to run it.

I untarred it under Linux. There's no installation. You just run the PMS.sh script and under Fedora Core 13 it just fired up.

On the PS3 you have to enable Settings -> Network Settings -> Media Server Connection.

If you have multiple network devices you may have to explicitly set one from the configuration screen and restart the app.

The only problem I ran into is the stock iptables rules on Fedora Core 13 prevented the media server and PS3 from seeing each other. Turning off iptables worked around the problem. I haven't explored which ports it uses.

You can configure what folders it exports.

So I was viewing videos and photos from my workstations on my big screen tv. The quality of the video that my little Cybershot HX5V takes is nothing short of incredible. I regret not shooting vastly more video.
    4 of 4
    buffalo
    14 years ago
    Very cool. I'll have to try setting this up here.