Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
The Angela Inspired October Deal's Gap TripSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    So, as promised, here's a thread where we can coordinate a trip to Deal's Gap in October.

I've sent out invitations to those who told me they might be interested in joining. At the present moment, I'm still talking to myself here, but hopefully they'll accept the invitations and get accounts here so we can all discuss the trip and come up with something that works for as many as possible.

At the moment, because of scheduling constraints, birthdays and work, it's looking like a short trip from Wednesday Oct 13th to Sunday Oct 17th. The weekend will be nuts but we can use it to ride around the surrounding areas. There are many good roads out there.
    2 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    Oh, and Ian or Bruce, if you're listening, I did pick up the parts to fix the R1100S ...
    3 of 25
    jpcfjr
    14 years ago
    I'm still working on the logistics for this trip. May take another few days to figure it out.

josh
    4 of 25
    SprintKS
    14 years ago
    I've heard rumors we are now talking first of November???
    5 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @SprintKS Not that I'm aware of. Currently it's Oct 13th to the 17th, a Wed through Sun run.

It looks like it's going to be Mike & Angela, Josh and Me at least. Can you make it down?

I wonder if Ian might fly out? The 'S will be up and running by that time.
    6 of 25
    Ian
    14 years ago
    I'd love to join you guys, but there's no way I can make it. Maybe next time.

Where are you planning on staying?
    7 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @Ian not sure yet. I haven't check availability down at the Deal's Gap resort. I think most everyone else is going to stay at Fontana Resort. I might do that simply because they have WIFI.
    8 of 25
    SprintKS
    14 years ago
    Unfortunately it's not looking too good for us this trip. Would really like to, but I doubt I will be able to take the time right now. My boys are really wanting to go on camping/motorcycle trip, and they've not been able to ride all summer. Baseball, the house we were remodeling, etc. all got in the way. I feel I need to put that first for now.

If I don't go to Deals Gap by spring time, I will probably lose my mind though Let me know if there is an interest to go then.
    9 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @SprintKS Oops. Confused you with another sprint rider. Sorry that.

Man, that really sucks. I was really looking forward to riding with you guys. That was kind of the whole point.

If we push to November, can you make it then? I didn't want to go that late because the gap resort will be closed and it'll be alot chillier at that point.

There will definitely be a trip in May.
    10 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    Hmm. Looks like it might just be Josh and me then ... and maybe Todd.
    11 of 25
    Phil
    14 years ago
    Geo and my self can't do deal's until after Nov 1st,
    12 of 25
    Phil
    14 years ago
    I will expect Angela's user name, on this forum to be ''SUPERCHIC''
    13 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @Phil By special dispensation we let her conceal her true identity.
    14 of 25
    Todd
    14 years ago
    OK, I am considering it. However, I was also looking at WV for the Fri-Sun of the same weekend. I have a friend that wants me to show him some tasty WV roads and we discussed that weekend.

I am pretty likely headed to Deals Gap for the Triumph gathering Sept 15-19 and staying at Ironhorse (ironhorsenc.com). We went to this Triumph party in the spring of 09 (thedragonraid.com).

IronHorse is a nice place with the ability to tent or rent a house. I think you can even rent a tent. Food is good and price is reasonable.

I have an extraordinarily nutty Sept and Oct, so making firm commitments is really tough right now.
    15 of 25
    buffalo
    14 years ago
    Wish I could join you guys--I'll be there in spirit...

Yermo wrote:
    So, as promised, here's a thread where we can coordinate a trip to Deal's Gap in October.

I've sent out invitations to those who told me they might be interested in joining. At the present moment, I'm still talking to myself here, but hopefully they'll accept the invitations and get accounts here so we can all discuss the trip and come up with something that works for as many as possible.

At the moment, because of scheduling constraints, birthdays and work, it's looking like a short trip from Wednesday Oct 13th to Sunday Oct 17th. The weekend will be nuts but we can use it to ride around the surrounding areas. There are many good roads out there.
    16 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    Originally, Mike and Angela were going to go, but that looks like it's not going to happen. :(

The Oct 13th to 17th dates were picked originally to fit their schedule.

I had mentioned the trip to Josh and he's already managed to carve out the same time span.

Unfortunately for Phil and Geo, after November 1st isn't going to work. Sorry guys. The next trip will be in early May.

The plan so far is to leave Tuesday evening, Oct 12th and roll into Deal's Gap on the 13th. Stay down there Wednesday, Thursday and Friday nights and then start heading back Saturday to arrive back in the DC area on Sunday.

I want to stay at the gap resort if they have a room available. I imagine Josh will stay at Fontana Resort.

It'll be a short trip.
    17 of 25
    Todd
    14 years ago
    OK, I am out for this trip. I am delivering a training on the 13-14 of Oct.

In addition, I just returned from staying in Stecoah and riding in the area (last week). We didnt hit Deal's Gap since it was a saturday, instead we headed toward GA and rode around the border.

Took the BRP down, suffered a faulty batt on one bike, cracking cases on another and a faux oil leak on a tricked out Thruxton. Our little group has the group photo taken by Killyboy and can be seen on the front page:

I would love to head back but it isnt in my cards.

Be safe and take lots of photos.
    18 of 25
    Ian
    14 years ago
    There are a lot of bikes in that picture! Was your "little group" this whole thing or a subset of it?

Is that the motorcycle-friendly cabins/campground place you mentioned before?
    19 of 25
    Todd
    14 years ago
    That was our whole group. I heard nearly 90 bikes/participants. Almost twice last year's event. Here is the whole folder of images:

I am visible third from the right, in the green Triumph Shirt:

This is the Thruxton that developed a faux oil leak on the first night:

And yes, this is IronHorse. It really is a great place. But at 90 participants the showers had a long queue each morning. You can rent everything from a campsite to a full house. I highly recommend it.
    20 of 25
    Ian
    14 years ago
    Todd wrote:

This is the Thruxton that developed a faux oil leak on the first night:

I like that bike. What's a "faux oil leak"?
    21 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    @Todd Your presence will be missed. It would have been good to see you.
    22 of 25
    Todd
    14 years ago
    Thanks Yermo, likewise I was looking forward to the opportunity to see you and riding again. I am slammed through to the end of Oct, now. You hit one milestone and another is on the horizon.

Ian, the faux oil leak is a fake oil spill I picked up. Looks absolutely real.
    Link #4767
    Todd
    11 years ago

Fake Oil Pools - Genuine Nonsense - Fun & Folly - Sundry :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

Place under any machine for serious fun. Looks just like a real oil leak. Amaze your friends. Black liquid looking Polyester resin in irregular shapes. Lots of laughs. No two are alike. Perfect for when you have heard enough about so and so s brand new bi

http://www.aerostich.com/sundry/fun...

It worked as hoped and got lots of mileage.

That Thruxton is totally tricked out. One-off wheels of the owner's design, Ohlins on the rear, Hepco and Becker bags. But the crappiest aftermarket turn signals ever. I can barely see them, even in the dark!!
    23 of 25
    Ian
    14 years ago
    Todd wrote:

Ian, the faux oil leak is a fake oil spill I picked up. Looks absolutely real.

Good job, laddie!
    24 of 25
    Yermo
    14 years ago
    I had been looking at some fake bird poop for Duncan's bike. I thought it might make a nice addition when he wasn't looking.
    25 of 25
    buffalo
    14 years ago
    Good luck making it stick to the wax on the finish