Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
BiFocal Safety glasses? Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 4
    Yermo
    10 days ago
    Does anyone here ride with bifocal safety sunglasses? Can you recommend any reputable brands?

I placed an order for this cheap pair to see how well I can adjust to bifocals. 
    Link #281894
    Yermo
    10 days ago

The Grant Bifocal Sun Reader Sport and Wrap Around Reading Sunglasses

Shatter Resistant High-Tech Polycarbonate Frame and Lens for Improved Safety While Working, Playing, Driving, Golfing, Fishing, Hiking and all activities Large Field of View with 100% UVA and UVB Protection From All Directions. ANSI Z87+ Certified. Non Polarized. Nosepads.

https://www.amazon.com/Bifocal-Read...
    (affiliate link)
    2 of 4
    Wander603
    9 days ago
    Have you had your eyes checked? I used to wear the type you're considering. They were adequate, but the plastic quality impaired my sight slightly. 
    Then I got my eyes checked and got a prescription. This enabled me to get a REAL pair of bifocal sunglasses. My first pair were Maui Jim's. Big improvement in lens quality, and the slight change in optics from my prescription made a small difference in the clarity of my long-distance vision. 

Fast forward 15 years, and my prescription is almost necessary for me to pass the driver's exam. I do not like to drive/ride without them. Along this journey, I switched to progressive lenses. I resisted for several years. Got a pair - returned them. Tried another pair 5 years later and kept them. Slowly started to prefer the progressive lenses to the bifocals I also had at the time. BTW: I have also had a pair of "computer" glasses at the same time. These are great for all arm-distance tasks, like working on your motorcycle. 

Bifocals are annoying. Currently, I have everyday glasses (chromatic, progressives, with a glare-reducing coating), computer glasses with blue blocking, and progressive safety glasses. The key to a good set of progressive or bifocal safety glasses (for me) is to set the transition line lower than the standard/typical placement. This reduces the vertigo that comes from the blurry vision directly in front of you when walking, etc. THIS IS NOT TRIVIAL. You don't want a large high diopter portion of the lens. Your gauges are not moving around or in your periphery. Hope that helps you and others.
    3 of 4
    MGD
    9 days ago
    About five years ago, I stopped wearing contact lenses and got my first pair of conventional “bifocal” (actually no-line progressive) spectacles, which I have worn behind my helmet’s face shield when riding. Results vary from one individual to the next, but I adapted to the new lenses very quickly. What I appreciated most was being able to glance down at digital displays (e.g. on-board time, temp, and “now playing”) and see them without taking my attention completely off the road (!) while struggling to make out numbers and letters down below. My advice would be to get examined and fitted by a qualified professional, get a decent pair of progressive lense specs, and spend time getting used to them in a safe environment, like your living room, before driving or riding while wearing them. Safe travels.
    4 of 4
    Yermo
    9 days ago
    This is all new to me. Thank you so much for the insights!