Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Tent recommendations for moto campingSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I'm looking for a tent to throw on the back of my bike for some possible overnight travels. Anybody have recommendations?

Thanks
    2 of 14
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Anything would be better than the 17-year-old tent I've been using!

Get a 2-person tent if you're sleeping alone. You'll need the extra room for all your riding gear. If there are two of you, then get something bigger.

Unlike when you're hiking, an extra few pounds won't make the slightest difference. You don't need to stuff it in your saddlebags, so it doesn't have to be real small. Strap it on the back.

Waterproof. Do they even make waterproof tents? I've never had one!

Some tents have a fly that makes for a covered area in front of the entrance, which can make for a convenient place to put your wet or dirty boots, rather then inside the tent with the rest of your gear.

I think the fancy ones have the poles built into the tent and you set them up in a few seconds by just pulling them out of the sack. That would be handy, but probably expensive.

Lastly, don't camp with Yermo or you'll be guaranteed to have wind, rain, hail, probably bears...
    3 of 14
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I have a little two person flashlight tent that has served me really well. It packs crazy small but then again it isn't the roomiest but I have been able to store all my gear along with a guest in it with some room to spare.

I find REI is a good place to get an overview of what's available.
    4 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Ok, let me try again...I'm looking for a tent that does not cost $300. So far all the backpacking tents I've looked at have STARTED at 3 bills. For Pete's sake, it's a piece of fabric with a couple poles!

As for waterproof, any decent tent with a good fly that is assembled propery will endure torrential rain storms and keep you quite dry. How do I know? Tent camped with my wife in Niagara Falls (no, not under the falls...that would fail ) with a four person Eureka tent with crazy bad weather...never got a drop on us inside the tent.
    5 of 14
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    While I agree with Yermo that Really Expensive Items (REI) has a great selection of good gear, I personally had great luck with a $30 3 person tent I bought at Costco 19 years ago.

It was till good enough to work for MC camping 2 years ago on the way to the gap.
    6 of 14
    mothman
    13 years ago
    I got a coleman at target around $50 a couple years ago but it backs kinda big if your trying to fit it on a bike

it's just a light duty tent that I use maybe once a year.
    7 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I think I'll pick this one up.

Link #4907
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

Target.com : Furniture, Baby, Electronics, Toys

Expect more pay less with Target. Spend $50, get free shipping on over 500K items. Choose from a wide selection of furniture, baby, electronics, toys, shoes, c

http://www.target.com/Kelty-Zenith-...
    8 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Tent purchased. Who's ready to ride, it's below 100 out there
    9 of 14
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Way too hot for me ... Canada is looking more and more attractive to me.
    10 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Not sure we can make it to Canada and back in two days. I'm hoping for cooler weather in four weeks.
    11 of 14
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I've wanted to go west to the mountains for some time now ... I think camping is in order.
    12 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    Yup. What's up with the blue brick?
    13 of 14
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Issues with brakes and a leaky oil pump. Not too bad to fix. I just have to find the time and more importantly energy to focus on it. Been pushing myself a bit too hard for some time now ...
    14 of 14
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I understand, the feejer is due for it's first valve check (26k) and I just had to chase down an electrical short that was causing my left headlight to fail. Sadly I was the root cause from when I installed my garage door opener.

Also have a wicked vibration that is putting my right hand to sleep. It never really ends does it?!