Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Kansas City, Kansas is 1057 MilesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    So I'm going to try to attend Angela's wedding to Mike (lucky guy!) on June 24th. As it turns out Kansas City is 1057 miles from College Park.

After some talk by Duncan and Josh it got me to thinking and now I'm considering:

Link #4657
    Yermo
    11 years ago

SaddleSore 1000/Bun Burner 1500 Rules

The Iron Butt Association is dedicated to safe, long-distance motorcycle endurance riding

http://www.ironbutt.com/ridecerts/g...
    2 of 13
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    You know you can't stop every 90 miles and hang out in Starbucks if you want to make the 1,000 in 24 hours.

Just sayin....
    3 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    If you're going that far, what's another 1,951 miles? Keep going west until you get to my place.
    4 of 13
    Matt
    13 years ago
    Hmm... if you stop for a half hour every 90 miles, that's 11 stops, at half an hour each stop, that leaves 18.5 hours. You just have to average a tad over 57mph over the 18.5 hours, and you're there!
    5 of 13
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    LOL, a half hour stop at Starbucks? Have you done much travel with the Yerminator?
    6 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    True, it's more like 1.5. 2 if he needs a quick nap. But, you know, like... if he's on a mission and all.
    7 of 13
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    The IBA claims it can be done in about 18 hours, without speeding and with regular breaks.
    8 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    buffalo wrote:
    The IBA claims it can be done in about 18 hours, without speeding and with regular breaks.

Driving the speed limit for 18 hours? That sounds like torture. I think I'd rather cruise at 85 and get there a few hours earlier!

Yermo, if you want an Iron Butt sticker on your bike, go for it. I'll still respect you, but it's safe to say that I will never be an Iron Butter.

That doesn't sound right. What do you call someone who has achieved such recognition?
    9 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Ian wrote:
    That doesn't sound right. What do you call someone who has achieved such recognition?

I think you call them nuts.
    10 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    So are you going to do it?
    11 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I would like to try but my efforts to get my sleeping issues under control have not been working, yet.

I am proceeding with the assumption that I will at least try.

If I don't manage to sleep well the few days before I'll probably do it in two days instead of one.
    12 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Yea, at this point I've decided to bail on the trip. I'm not going to be able to the get the oilpump issue fixed in time because Bob's is booked through next week. The car is in the shop and there's no way I can do that distance on the R1100S.

And I continue not to feel well. I've also bailed on Total Control 2 and the track day at the end of the month.

Totally wussing out, I know.
    13 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    That's too bad. Sorry you're not feeling well.

How big of a job is the oil pump problem? Because you wouldn't have to leave for over a week, could you do it yourself? And if it's just an oil leak, then take some extra oil along with you.

Of course, you'd have to be feeling better to go. I don't advise considering Iron Butt certification for a trip where you actually want to get somewhere and would want to do it on your own schedule. Save that for retirement or your next extended vacation.