Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Forks removedSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Being a motivating force, Yun came over today to give me the excuse to remove the front forks from the K100RS.

For some reason I had built this up to be a big job in my mind but it took less than an hour and a half to take everything apart. I'll try to make it over the UPS tomorrow to ship the forks out to RaceTech.

Photo #554
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    K100RS

Photo #555
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Forks Removed

I'm very interested to see what kind of difference I'll notice with the new suspension. Racetech says they have a 7 day turnaround.
    2 of 13
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Excellent! Can't wait to hear about dialing in the new front end...
    3 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Forks shipped off to Racetech. I called to confirm with them that even in the busy season they have a one week turnaround.

The forks should arrive there on Friday. I expect to have them back week after next.

After that I just need to see about getting both bikes tuned up and have fresh rubber put on and they should be good and ready for Deal's Gap in May.
    4 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    Forks shipped off to Racetech. I called to confirm with them that even in the busy season they have a one week turnaround.

Then we find out what Yermo's turnaround time is.
    5 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Ian wrote:
    Yermo wrote:

Then we find out what Yermo's turnaround time is.

Well, there is that.
    6 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Just checked UPS tracking and my forks have arrived at RaceTech. Hopefully I'll have from them on Monday or Tuesday after they've had a chance to inspect the forks.
    7 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Is this what you're talking about?

8 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

After that I just need to see about getting both bikes tuned up and have fresh rubber put on and they should be good and ready for Deal's Gap in May.

You liked the Michelin Pilot Road 2's, so you might want to consider the new Pilot Road 3's, which have just come out. They have a new tread pattern for better performance in the wet.

Link #4888
    Ian
    11 years ago

Michelin Introduces Pilot Road 3 Tires - Motorcycle USA

Michelin enters into 2011 with the introduction of the Pilot Road 3 tire, ideal for Sport Touring motorcycles. The Michelin Pilot Road 3 tire goes on sale in January 2011. Street Tires Peek

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/432/8...

9 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Ian, yup, that's essentially the service. They'll install the cartridge emulators and new springs and go through the forks pretty thoroughly. They should be significantly better than stock when I get them back.

I just got a call from them. They are starting work on them and should, hopefully, have them done this week.
    10 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Got a status update from Racetech. The bushings were shot beyond use but contrary to what they thought they were able to locate a source for new bushings.

Unfortunately this means it'll take an additional week. I should easily have the forks back in time for Deal's Gap. Once the forks, discs and pad are bolted on the only prep work I'll have to do is put new rubber on both bikes and change the oil and filters.
    11 of 13
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    My forks are done. They are being shipped using UPS ground and should be here towards the end of next week.

"Excellent.", in my best Mr. Burns voice ...
    12 of 13
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Not trying to copy-cat here, but I just removed my forks, too. Except in my case I just want to change the oil. It's a pretty big job for an oil change, which is why this is the first time doing it on this bike in over ten years.

Not having rafters in my garage like Yermo, I had to rig up my folding ladder to support the bike:

In order to change the oil I need to remove the cartridge from this guy and pump it out:

Photo #557
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Showa Fork

That's as far as I've gotten, as family duty calls. I look forward to getting the oil replaced, everything cleaned up and put back together, and my first test ride.
    13 of 13
    mothman
    13 years ago
    yermo's forks are back

race tech also sent the old parts back with the forks.

I kinda like that, you get to see how bad the bushing were getting and what parts they replaced