Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Rear View Camera SystemSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    2 of 8
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Seems to me it would just distract you from what's ahead of you.
    3 of 8
    jpcfjr
    13 years ago
    I'm with Yermo on that one...looks like a solution in search of a problem to me.
    4 of 8
    Matt
    13 years ago
    I can see the utility if it were a wider view. Anyway, I doubt that this screen will be bright enough to be daylight viewable- if you notice, it is behind a dark smoked windscreen. Daylight viewable LCD screens are horribly expensive because they are so bright (you need to shine light through the LCD for it to work, but the LCD also has to be good enough to block the light- an expensive combination). There are OLEDs displays, which would work better, but they are very expensive, and their lifetime is logarithmically (inversely) proportional to brightness.
    5 of 8
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Well, turning your head to look to either side, or glancing at your mirrors also takes your attention away from what's ahead of you, so I'm not sure that that's a real argument against a rear view system (which like mirrors you only glance at for 1-2 seconds at a time). In addition many bikes now have GPS mounted on handlebars or in tank bags, which require occasional 1-2 second glances.

Common sense dictates that you glance away from what's in front of you only when you feel you can safely do so, or have to for safety reasons.

I do take Matt's point about LCD brightness in daylight. But even so, it might be useful at night.

Potential scenario #1: You are sitting at a red light at night with nothing behind you. Suddenly a cage comes up behind you at speed, not noticing the light or you. You are glancing at your rearview LCD and notice in time to get out fo the way.
    6 of 8
    Matt
    13 years ago
    For me, directly behind has never been an issue- the blind spots to either side are more significant. I think that this camera is a great thing for people that always ride in a tuck.

I guess, for me, this is a solution to a problem I don't have.

Don't forget the first rule of Italian driving!
    Video #4885
    Matt
    13 years ago

7 of 8
    Ian
    13 years ago
    I would rather just use mirrors, myself. Looking down at a display takes your eyes off the road just the same as looking at a mirror. If I were to add an electronic device to my bike, I'd like to have a clock! Or a voltmeter, as I've had bad luck with batteries.

On the other hand, this device could be useful for Harleys and Goldwings that have Reverse.
    8 of 8
    mothman
    13 years ago
    ride the bike and stop playing with gadgets

this is what I think of your ideal
    Video #4887
    mothman
    13 years ago