Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Duncan come back to the dark sideSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 15
    mothman
    13 years ago
    I have to post this web site if Duncan still had his GT750 I think this could have inspired him

this is all about restoring the GT750 but with updates nothing destructive that can't be unbolted if you really want a museum piece

Link #4769
    mothman
    11 years ago
    2 of 15
    Matt
    13 years ago
    But now that he has a BMW, he actually rides motorcycles, rather than just collect and talk about them.
    3 of 15
    mothman
    13 years ago
    what fun is that just riding a perfectly working bike.

sounds boring...
    4 of 15
    Ian
    13 years ago
    By "dark side" do you mean the large, dark cloud of smoke emanating from the old 2-stroke like the clouds above Mount Doom? Those were the days...
    5 of 15
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    Indeed. I think Boromir described what it's like to follow one of Duncan's two smokes:

"The very air you breathe is a toxic fume."
    6 of 15
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Nah, with the exception of my old Yamaha Trailmaster, I'm done with old bikes.

They were fun though...
    7 of 15
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    The only reason you'd ride any of that old crap is nostalgia. Now that you have that beast of a bike, I doubt you could go back.

We need to get a pic of you on your own actual bike for your profile shot!
    8 of 15
    Ian
    13 years ago
    Yermo wrote:

Feature Request: allow any user to update any other user's image or signature!
    9 of 15
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Funny you should mention that, I'm hoping before today is over to finally order my DG shots from May.

Once I get 'em, an update is clearly in order

Yes, the old bikes would be about nostalgia--NOTHING (for me at least) beats the K13. It's pragmatice 4 stroke modernity and, latest/greatest tech, along with the turbine like pull clearly bests the old two strokes that I (very) occasionally miss.

Having said that though, having a lightweight trail/MX bike, preferably two stroke (~250cc) and no more than 10 years old or so--and a place to ride it legally--would NOT make my life worse

Nor is it likely to happen any time soon, just sayin'.

Yermo wrote:
    The only reason you'd ride any of that old crap is nostalgia. Now that you have that beast of a bike, I doubt you could go back.

10 of 15
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    Life is definitely better with a dirt bike!

I love riding on the street for sure, but going off road is an ideal aggression release. You can rip around at crazy speed (legally), see some amazing scenery and challenge yourself on all kinds of nasty terrain.

Having both IS the best plan!
    11 of 15
    Yermo
    13 years ago
    I've always said dirt biking was so much more fun than street riding ... unfortunately I sold my Honda XL350R some many years ago to my buddy Matt. There just aren't any good places to ride close by here any more ... I do miss dirt biking though. I used to really enjoy exploring trails for hours on end ... I once came upon a beaver damn that must've been 500+ feet across and over 6ft high. It turned a gulley into a small lake.
    12 of 15
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/wheretoride.php?f=306

Quotes I borrowed from KTMtalk.com regarding question about areas around MD:
    "Tasker's Gap and the Cove. Both are very good riding areas. You also aren't far from Moutnain Ridge Atv Park. I've never been there, but they are hosting a GNCC this weekend."

"tons of riding available, from ECEA.org clubs to local AMA District 5/6/7 to GNCC racing"

"ORV area near Rockey Gap"

I have no idea how close these are to you, but I have to drive about an hour for decent trails, 2 hours for good trails and 3 hours for awesome trails.
    13 of 15
    buffalo
    13 years ago
    Many thanks Mike, will definitely look into these ASAP.

Heck, even if you have to trailer them, a couple of beater dirt bikes in the right setting could be serious fun

SprintKS wrote:
    http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/wheretoride.php?f=306

Quotes I borrowed from KTMtalk.com regarding question about areas around MD:
    "Tasker's Gap and the Cove. Both are very good riding areas. You also aren't far from Moutnain Ridge Atv Park. I've never been there, but they are hosting a GNCC this weekend."

"tons of riding available, from ECEA.org clubs to local AMA District 5/6/7 to GNCC racing"

"ORV area near Rockey Gap"

I have no idea how close these are to you, but I have to drive about an hour for decent trails, 2 hours for good trails and 3 hours for awesome trails.
    14 of 15
    Matt
    13 years ago
    SprintKS wrote:
    Life is definitely better with a dirt bike!

In terms of grins per minute, a street bike will never beat a dirt bike. The down side is as I get older, the recovery time gets longer and longer. While it is orders of magnitude more fun, dirt biking is also orders of magnitude harder on your body (particularly when done right!).
    15 of 15
    SprintKS
    13 years ago
    Matt, I completely agree on the recovery. I just can't help myself though. No matter how bad I hurt; it just draws me in like an addiction.