Ninja 1000 ABS or Triumph Speed Triple RSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I've been really struggling with the possible purchase of a sportier bike and these two bikes are now what I am focusing on.  The problem with the Speet Trip is quite frankly the cost...it's crazy expensive.  The Ninja 1000 ABS is $4,000 less and will do everything the Triumph can do so I just don't see where the extra 4 large is worth it.

I am considering picking up a new Kawi in the next few weeks and if I really like it, maybe packing in the fjr within a year and going down to one bike that fits most of my needs.  I love the yammi but I'm finding it to be just overly large and way more bike than is needed for a 60 miles a day commute.  If I get a smaller bike with better handling and similar riding position I think I would quickly decide that the fjr should go.

Really like the Triumph but 4 grand buys a LOT of extras, no?
    2 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Yea, $4K buys quite a bit. Robs Ninja was a tremendous amount of fun, I thought. 
    3 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I'm not thrilled about the styling of the Kawi...the Speed Triple is great to look at...but again, for the money...
    4 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Honda's CB1000R would totally fit the bill...but no ABS.  I just don't understand why Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki don't offer ABS on their comparable models.

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/cb1000r.aspx
    5 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I've never found the lack of ABS to be an issue, but it sounds like even if it's not a deal breaker for you initially you may never be happy with the bike without it. What about the Street Triple? It does basically all of what the Speed does. Another thing to think about, what else do you want to do with the bike? The Kawi for example has factory hard bags available (made by Givi). Also, some of the more focused sport bikes are actually pretty good for longer stretches on the road. The GSX-R is actually a pretty capable commuter and sport tourer. So is the R-1 and the CBR1000RR. A set of heli bars and adjustable rear sets and these can be pretty darn good on the highway.
    6 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    jpcfjrIf you'd like, you can borrow the Ninja for a couple of days. Commute on it, ride it around, see what you think. Not just in terms of contemplating a N1K but in the overall as well. There are always compromises, and sometimes pleasant surprises, that come from using it for more than a blast up/down a road. 
    7 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Rob, that is exceedingly generous of you.  I'll certainly consider that.  As to the ABS or not issue, since I do a lot of commuting and often end up in the rain in close, fast moving traffic, ABS is almost a must for me.  Having said that, if I got used to not having it maybe I would be fine.  Just not sure.

I'm going to give this a LOT more thought.  All I've ever known is ABS bikes.  I still consider myself a new rider in a lot of respects and thus there is significant doubt about my abilities.  Sucks coming to this game so late in life.
    8 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I would be happy to hit the parking lots with you to work on braking techniques, believe it or not I actually have some skittles in that arena LOL. Threshold braking and feel take time and practice but are easier on modern bikes because of how good and communicative the brakes are.
    9 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Just put a deposit on the white 2012 speed triple R.  It had to be done.  Thanks everybody for enduring my unparalleled and insufferable agonizing and indecision. 
    10 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    11 of 26
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    It's not real until there's 12 months of ownership lol
    12 of 26
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Or you drop it.  It's like it's not a party until someone breaks something.  Okay, not really - keep it upright as much as possible - but you DO know the forum rule about new bikes, right?  You've got to take it off road riding with Yermo.  Nothing serious, just a few stream crossings.
    13 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Ian Do we have any photos from the muddy off-road excursion we took down at the Gap? I still remember that one steep muddy rutted hill ... 
    14 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    (Tonight I took the 'S, with a passenger, a little ways into those local trails I did on the DR. )
    15 of 26
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Just these before and after photos:
    Photo #5736
    Ian
    11 years ago
    The Tame Part of the Off Road Ride

The Tame Part of the Off Road Ride

Here is a fairly tame section of muddy mountain road near Deal's Gap. Ian and Yermo, 2003.
    Photo #5735
    Ian
    11 years ago
    After the Muddy Mountain Ride

After the Muddy Mountain Ride

Got a little dirty after our muddy mountain off road ride near Deal's Gap. Ian and Yermo, 2003.
    16 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I remember that drop off.
    17 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I found some from that ride

It started out so innocently with bridges.
    Photo #5740
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Then not so much ...
    Photo #5739
    Yermo
    11 years ago

But I don't have any photos of the bad parts. I'm sure jpcfjr will take the new Triumph to the Gap. I'll try to find those trails again just for him. We'll take more pictures this time.
    18 of 26
    Ian
    11 years ago
    From the vantage point of the second photo, the one where the water is running over the road, if you were to turn to the right, you'd see a steep muddy hill. Good fun for a DR650, maybe, but a little sketchy for a Ducati Monster and BMW K100RS!  :)  After the steep muddy hill there was a long, windy and quite slippery muddy road with a precipitous drop on one side.  When you have both hands locked firmly on the handlebar you tend to not stop to take out the camera.
    19 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Thanks guys...but a simple "congrats" would have sufficed!

20 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    : ) Congratulations!
    21 of 26
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Congratulations!And you're still riding the camel to the gap, right?
    22 of 26
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Oh, yeah... Congratulations!  I like the choice of the Speed Triple.
    23 of 26
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Photo #5748
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago

24 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Damn. Congrats! (So when do I get to ride it. )  
    25 of 26
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    (Of course I realize that's such a faux paux. Never ask to ride someone's bike, so of course, I was just kidding.)