Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Quick UpdateSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    In my testing, the new server that rshaug contributed represents roughly a 54% reduction in page load times using the same software configuration as on the current production server.

That alternative technology stack I was talking about, called HipHopVM released by Facebook, represents an additional 66% reduction in page load times, at least based on my initial testing here. 

Average time on our current server to load the forums thread index: 6.27 seconds.

Average time to load the same page on the new server: 2.85 seconds (using the same software stack)

Average time on the new server using HipHopVM: 0.964 seconds. 

This is without any changes to my code. 

Getting everything working on the new server with HipHopVM is going to take some time. It's a very early stage technology and the documentation is virtually non-existent.

But these are very promising numbers especially if they pan out across the rest of the site. Currently, I only have the one forum thread index page working in HipHopVM for testing. I have some work to do yet to get the rest working.

I must say, I'm incredibly impressed with what Facebook has accomplished.

(edited: my numbers were a little off)
    2 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Forgot to tag buffalo
    3 of 3
    Gabe
    11 years ago
    Bravo for undertaking the effort and challenge! Also kudos on not taking the "easy" way and using completely pre-canned forums & services! Not an easy task by any means! Well done thus far!