TIG welder in NoVA areaSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 7
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    I'm looking to add the Xtank (auxiliary fuel tank) to my X-Challenge, and the maker recommends TIG welding it to the subframe. I'm having a hard time finding anyone who can do TIG welding in this area. Any suggestions?

Here's the link for the XTank:

2 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I forget if Lance has a tig welder. Or was it a mig? I forget. Duncan would know.

Lance is @mothman here.
    3 of 7
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Sorry, just a MIG here. But, you could probably just take it to any autobody shop. They weld aluminum all the time and one of their guys could probably do it for you pretty cheap (and well).
    4 of 7
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I may have missed it but this looks like a bolt-in installation. The welding pic looks like when they're making the tanks.

5 of 7
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Here's what the maker said: "The welding is steel>steel. I like to do TIG because I usually do it in situ on the bike and TIG does't spatter and looks neat. But other forms of welding can be applied also of course."
    6 of 7
    AGrip
    11 years ago
    I've done both tig and mig welding, but not in years.
    7 of 7
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Here's what the maker said: "The welding is steel>steel. I like to do TIG because I usually do it in situ on the bike and TIG does't spatter and looks neat. But other forms of welding can be applied also of course."

Thanks MM, I had missed that. If you are going to weld it I think I would still recommend having a pro do it. Improper welding can significantly weaken surrounding metal and change its characteristics substantially. Especially frame welding. The heat cycles can change the malleability of the steel and create brittle spots that become prone to failure but aren't visible (from experience with roll cages). Also, although both are steel they are very likely to be very different kinds of steel with unique characteristics that should be taken into account with the depth and temperature of the weld. Just some thoughts.

Also, if your an iPad user I highly recommend this magazine (available on the newsstand):
    Link #4632
    rshaug
    11 years ago

Adventure Motorcycle for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

Read reviews, get customer ratings, see screenshots, and learn more about Adventure Motorcycle on the App Store. Download Adventure Motorcycle and enjoy it on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/adv...

Recent articles include mods such as this.