Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Yamaha XT250Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 20
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Figured I'd start a new threat on this one. Andrew Pain pointed this bike out which I think I'm going to need to take a look at.

A 250 seems awfully small for the long trip back but this bike does seem to have a lot going for it. I'm surprised they aren't offering a larger displacement version.

Aftermarket parts supports seems pretty good based on some google searches:

Link #4685
    Yermo
    11 years ago

2013 Yamaha XT250 Specifications, specs

2013 Yamaha XT250 Specifications, The XT250 offers reliable performance, ease of use and all-around function for the ultimate in versatility.

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/p...

I'm still intrigued by the BMW XChallenge and XCountry which I want to look at. If I were to get a BMW, especially through Bob's, I think there's a good chance they'd host one of their evening events about the trip which would get the site a bit of exposure. If I do it on some Japanese bike, then I suspect that possibility is off the table. I'm not sure how important that is but it is a thought in the back of my mind.
    2 of 20
    Ian
    11 years ago
    I like it. A 250 may seem small for a big trip, but the fact that there is adventure-oriented hard luggage available for it says something.

I've seen Happy Trails aluminum panniers on a bike in my neighborhood and they look legit. They're made in Idaho, so does that add street cred? Or should I say "off-street" cred?
    3 of 20
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    It would certainly be more multi-purpose than the other bikes and it could easily double as a trainer.
    4 of 20
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    In "the old days"(tm), it was far from uncommon for people to take "small" displacement bikes for long distances.

Several years ago, Ian shared an article (in one of the bike mags, wish I'd saved it) about a guy who bought a beater Yamaha DT-360 enduro, on the west coast from a guy's barn, got it running enough to ride, then rode it to NYC via the southern route.

Any yes, this would have been the kind of Yamaha that would have left a trail of blue smoke behind it.

I would've been quite happy to attempt that one myself...
    5 of 20
    John St John
    11 years ago
    So, how about taking that Elsinore on the TAT?
    6 of 20
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    You know John, that's really not that bad of an idea

The bike is technically my brother's (stored in my shed) but I'm sure he wouldn't object. I'd need to go through it and make sure it was up for the trip, but it wouldn't take that much.

The question would be whether I could get appropriate gear for it, and how it would do in the mountains (being carb'ed--that bit me before in the Canadian Rockies--ask Yermo). But this is probably not a show stopper.

Plus there's the "hey that's crazy--why would any sane person try that?!?" appeal. In the Iron Butt Rally every year, there's a "hopeless class", as in guys that enter with antiques such as water buffaloes, RE5s, and other anachronisms that will likely fail catastrophically before the rally is over.

Hmm. Now the question is, how would I swing the time off from work? Because god help me, if I could, I might well be stupid enough to try this
    7 of 20
    mothman
    11 years ago
    you always say "it won't take that much"...

but I really just want to see a 6' foot plus tall duncan attempt to ride the trail master on the TAT...

now that would be entertaining
    8 of 20
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I wonder if you could carry enough oil for that thing? And doing trial-side "de-carbonization" would be a sight to behold.

If I remember correctly, he put a street suspension on it. Way too stiff for off-road use.
    9 of 20
    mothman
    11 years ago
    I don't know if anyone would see anything it would be like the 2 smoke fog rolling in...

you probably would have to pre-ship 2 smoke oil to your stops & carry what you can during the day.
    10 of 20
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Actually, the L5TA trailmaster is bone stock. But at around 9 screaming horses, and at best primitive trail riding suspension and dual drum brakes, it's not my first choice for the TAT.

Now the Elsinore MT250 might be worth the challenge, with it's better ground clearance, and "newer" technology (1975 vs. 1969), and 150 extra cc's of displacement
    11 of 20
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Seeing all the bikes being thrown about on this thread has me thinking..."well, we could always walk it"

12 of 20
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Of course the truly decadent and over the top approach would be to have a "support crew" with a truck and large trailer that could meet you at various points along the ride so you could switch out bikes and ride several different ones during the trip
    13 of 20
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I talked to Ryan. He said I could borrow his trailer and vehicle to go get a bike, so I'm now officially looking for a DR650.
    14 of 20
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    And you do of course know someone with a rather large pickup with a tow hitch....
    15 of 20
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'm thinking of getting the DR650 that's at National Powersports. I sent them an inquiry today.
    16 of 20
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Couldn't help but look on ebay...
    There's an adventure-ready one for sale in Florida.

Link #4703
    Ian
    11 years ago
    17 of 20
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Rob, thank you very much for the offer. I had thought about that but it would be in the "big favor" category to drive 200 some odd miles to go look at a bike, especially with how busy you've been.

I'm looking at the DR down in Florida, the one Ian kindly pointed out. That looks just about perfect to me.
    18 of 20
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Lol, Florida might be a stretch But generally speaking its a little bitty favor at most. Truck ownership comes with the knowledge that it becomes a "shared resource" pretty quickly.
    19 of 20
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    And Lisa just reminded me that I once flew to Denver to drive from Denver to Alabama with a friend of mine to trade in a car and pick up a new one...then drive it back to Denver...all in 24 hours. Then fly home. PA would have been nothing
    20 of 20
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Laugh. Florida == bike shipped to my doorstep.

Thank you for the offer for PA. That would, of course, rock.

We'll see what I find. Shipping looks like, if Ebay is to be believed, about $400. I don't feel like playing the auction game so I sent them an email to see what price they are looking for.