Coming soon to my garageSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 10
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    2007 BMW X-Challenge

I think this will be the perfect platform for a lightweight adventure bike, and I'm working on my Touratech wishlist to adventurize it. Any suggestions are welcome.

The bike is stock except for the handguards, tires, and new Ohlins rear shock, which the dealer is going to re-spring for my inseam-challenged body.

Photo #795
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    X-Challenge
    2 of 10
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Once it arrives, my I impose an M-BY-MC event for us to go look at this beast some upcoming weekend?
    3 of 10
    AGrip
    11 years ago
    Yes, there should be an event! I want to see this thing.
    4 of 10
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Magadan pannier bags, just arrived from Adventure-Spec in the UK. Now if the shipper would hurry up and get the bike here from NM.

5 of 10
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    very cool.
    6 of 10
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Special thanks to Yermo for his help with farkling the X-Challenge yesterday.

He even climbed aboard and took it for a test ride, in spite of his protestations that it's much too tall. I assured him that even I had managed, in spite of lacking his impressive stature (and inseam).

7 of 10
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    It is quite seriously tall but it's loads of fun. I'm looking forward to seeing it offroad.

Next time we turn wrenches, I'll remember to bring the T-handles (and then it'll be some other tool that I'll have forgotten).

I failed to look at the shock closely but I was reading earlier this morning that some Ohlins actually have a separate height adjustment.
    8 of 10
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Here's a better shot of the bike.

Photo #857
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    X-Challenge
    9 of 10
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    MM: Great bike! Looks like there will be some fun trail running in the near future

Yermo: I'm thinking of reversing out the lowering kit on my DR. I think I'd actually like it a little higher, with more wheel travel. Once underway the height doesn't matter and the narrow saddle makes it easy to sidesaddle at stops. I'm also thinking that loaded down I'm going to lose too much travel.
    10 of 10
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    @rshaug: Good point. This makes me think regardless we should adjust the preload to compensate for the load. I got the lower Sargeant seat which should put me at about the height that I want. I'm waiting for a few more farkles to arrive and then I'll start bolting things on.

It's offensive that I've had it this long already and it still has no scratches or mud on it.