Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Old Bikes Vs. New--Logic Vs. Emotion?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 8
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    As those who know me well and ride with me regularly can attest, I've found no motorcycle I like better, or would rather own and ride as my primary bike than my K1300s.

BUT: despite this, I've never been able to fully shake my (quite possibly) irrational attraction to old, primitive, simpler motorcycles--they are always calling to me from a distance. I've been able to mostly shake my vintage Japanese bike habit and interests (except for old two strokes), but Indian is a different story.

For some reason (or reasons) that I can't fully explain, I've always been drawn to Indians. Harleys not so much (I realize some of you are thinking: "what's the difference").

Yes I know that from any number of perspectives, these bikes are primitive compared to the modern wonders we ride, Some would say they're little more than overgrown versions of the old simple tube frame Briggs & Stratton powered minibikes that many (including me) got their start with. But something about these bikes continues to pull at me. To wit, I give you:

1) An ancient 1948 Indian Chief being run for the first time in many decades (I can never resist seeing old tech brought back to life):

Link #4902
    buffalo
    11 years ago

1948 Indian Chief motorcycle comes back to life after 40 years

Old Indian motorcycles never die as this one demonstrates. Brought back to life after 40 years at Kiwi Motorcycles Riverside California 2010, this 1948 class...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hy0B...

2) A "march of progress" promo film for Indian, circa 1950:

2 of 8
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    The old bike disease coming out of remission, eh?
    3 of 8
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I thought about you this morning Duncan while reading "Bike" magazine. There is a great article on Kawi 750 two strokes with a fun to read report on taking one out for a rip.
    4 of 8
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Rob, do you perchance have a link you can post?
    5 of 8
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    It's in the January issue which, as far as I know, is only available on new stands and the iPad app. I subscribe to Bike (and Motorcyclist and CycleWorld) in iTunes. Great article with pics and vids. Also, the Jan issue has several articles and revies of adventure bikes, rides, and gear.
    6 of 8
    Jay
    11 years ago
    Are you talking about the large size Brit magazine? I love that one - much more content than the US mags.
    7 of 8
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Exactly Jay. In my mind the best current motorcycle mag out there. awesome photog and writing with actual useful information. the iPad version is even better in a lot of ways.
    8 of 8
    mothman
    11 years ago
    I'll let you stand behind the GT750 to smell the 2 smoke - after your eyes stop watering from the fumes & wash your transit suit like 50 times to get the oil smell out. this will get the irrational out of the system.

I keep it around & running just for these moments of irrational behavior.