Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Deal's Gap 2013 - Planning ThreadSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 3
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    ALLCON,
    I thought it might be about time to start a planning thread for this coming May's trip to Deals Gap. I also wanted to throw out an option that may seem heretical, but is worth seriously considering... trailoring the bikes down/back. Here's my thinking on throwing that option out there for discussion:
    1. This would allow people to potentially take more than one bike, perhaps two different kinds of bikes (one for roads, one for fire roads maybe)?
    2. This would make it easier to take a less distance friendly bike, but one that is more "fun" in the Gap area
    3. Would make for a more refreshed arrival and less taxing return, including a one-day trip down and back without it being painful
    4. No real limitation on gear/supplies
    5. Our own emergency support vehicle, able to recover and return home bikes of any level of damage - no worries about towing or getting a damaged bike back

I am also volunteering to do the towing, would just rent a trailer of the appropriate size for the number of bikes that ends up going. As my friends know, my truck has plenty of space for stuff in the back (covered/locakable) and can easily seat 3 passengers (excluding the driver) with lounge space and 4 passengers without anyone being squeezed.

Personally, I'm kinda liking the idea.
    2 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    That is certainly an intriguing possibility. It might be nice to have a Sertao down there, now wouldn't it?

I suspect I would still want to ride down. For some reason the fact that my bike has never been trailered is a point of irrational pride.

However, if I have an adventure bike by that time it might be interesting to add it to the mix.
    3 of 3
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Yermo, would that Sertao be coming along with a spare set of rims with street tires?

Rob, interesting possibility. Definitely worth considering carefully--and fortunately, we have time for that