Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Trans Am TrailSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 44
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    LOL, maybe we just need Urals
    27 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    laugh. I bet we could get Ural to sponsor us.

But seriously, you've done much more motocross/high-performance off road riding, right?

I haven't ruled out getting the Dakar, but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a bike that tall (or any of the other adventure bikes.) it's not that I can't handle them. I know I can run across a wide range of terrain on them without trouble. I'm just not sure about the hard slow parts ... it seems like every time I used to go trail riding there were always times when I was pushing the bike forward half on the clutch going around some obstacle. Maybe I'm focusing on that scenario too much ...
    28 of 44
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I guess it's more from starting in the dirt...When stuck in deep sand or mud have just gotten off and walked it out, then hopped back on. Honestly never really thought much about it. For me, and these are simply the things that I'm thinking about for myself when considering a bike for this type of adventure, I'm looking at this:
    1. Task orientated bike; this will be something I use for this and other things like this...not commuting, back roads, or road rides.
    2. I want to not care about cosmetic damage, dents, scratches, etc.
    3. Trail durability and repairability; carbs may be finickey and if you want to eek out max performance will need ot rejet at high altitude (or not care that it's less powerful), but can be easily fixed. I apply the "Could a village blacksmith and handyman fix it?" rule.
    4. Economies, how much does it cost to run.
    5. Big enough to carry everything, small enough to manhandle (thinking 650-800cc single or twin)
    6. Ship/Carry/Tow/Ride back. I'm thinking tow it back or uhaul truck one way. For me I'm looking at this as a 30 day off road ride. Not a 30 day off road ride followed immediatly by a several day highway ride. so I'm not thinking of getting something that will be good for multi-hundred mile superslab days.

these are just what I'm thinking about, folks will have to decide for themselves what is best or works best for them. My current shortlist of bikes includes:
    -Triumph tiger 800
    -BMW F800
    -BMW F650
    -DR
    -KLR
    -Versys
    -Various Honda enduros
    29 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    ah, yea. That's an interesting point. While I'm out there I'll probably end up riding whatever I get to go meet Ian for a ride and then stop over by Bruce's, etc. That makes the compromise a bit more challenging.

Point taken on carbs. I remember taking my old V65 Sabre up Pikes Peak. It bogged down pretty badly at the top but it still ran. I just irrationally hate carbs, but you are right, they are something that can be repaired just about anywhere. Then again, I've never had a FI related failure on any vehicle I've owned but I have had carb related failures on every carb fueled vehicle I've owned (and the genset in the back yard.). I guess that's where my prejudice comes from ... it's probably silly.

For single purpose use I might be tempted to try the DR650.

Hmmm.
    30 of 44
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    For me, again just my thinking, regarding carbs on adventure or off road bikes is aa combination of repairability and ability to deal with crappy fuel and lack of electronics to go bad. Not as concerned with fuel delivery as with the associated additional electronics. Would rather deal with mechanical issues than electronic issues when away from civilization. For the TA your never really that far off the grid.
    31 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    For me as well, just thinking aloud trying to find some clarity for myself when pondering embarking into the unknown ...
    32 of 44
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Your carb feelings definitely have a basis though. I remember in the Frazier Canyon when I tried to pass up a hill behind you and my handful of throttle gave me a whole lot of nothing in response--a situation that almost ended very badly. Had the Goldwing had fuel injection, I'd likely not have any memory of that particular day.

Yermo wrote:
    ah, yea. That's an interesting point. While I'm out there I'll probably end up riding whatever I get to go meet Ian for a ride and then stop over by Bruce's, etc. That makes the compromise a bit more challenging.

Point taken on carbs. I remember taking my old V65 Sabre up Pikes Peak. It bogged down pretty badly at the top but it still ran. I just irrationally hate carbs, but you are right, they are something that can be repaired just about anywhere. Then again, I've never had a FI related failure on any vehicle I've owned but I have had carb related failures on every carb fueled vehicle I've owned (and the genset in the back yard.). I guess that's where my prejudice comes from ... it's probably silly.

For single purpose use I might be tempted to try the DR650.

Hmmm.
    33 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    yea. I remember that event and I think that's coloring my perception.

After some posts on ADVrider.com, I'm leaning towards the F650GS ...

So when are we going? Guys on ADVRider seem to think September is the best month to go. Mid-summer is hot and wet. In spring the passes will still be covered in snow.

Yun won't be able to go unless it's in the bad season. Rob's schedule is up in the air. Anyone else fool enough to consider this?

Thoughts?
    34 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    More thoughts on the Trans Am Trail:

35 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Hmmm. Despite the carbs, I may have to take a serious look at the DR650SE. There aren't many used out there but new they can be had for under $6K locally. And they look much more robust than the KLR ...
    36 of 44
    John St John
    11 years ago
    You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Photo #753
    John St John
    11 years ago

37 of 44
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    "like"

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Photo #753
    John St John
    11 years ago

38 of 44
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I *know* I should be looking at adventure bikes....but....stuff like this is just catching my eye a lot lately:
    Link #4711
    rshaug
    11 years ago

2006 KAWASAKI ZX6R NINJA 636 | eBay

Find best value and selection for your 2006 KAWASAKI ZX6R NINJA 636 search on eBay. World's leading marketplace.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006...
    39 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I was just reading a review of the latest version of that bike and found myself thinking "Hmmmmmm. That might make for an interesting track bike."

eh, just put knobbies on it and call it a real adventure.
    40 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I decided that the F650GS Dakar that I looked at, while expertly constructed and definitely set up for a trip like this, is just too uncomfortably big so I've opted against purchasing it.

The Honda could be an option but it I fear it's also too big for this purpose (well, for me venturing into the unknown). We'll see. There's quite a bit of time yet to find a bike I'm going to be comfortable with.
    41 of 44
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Since the "650" is uncomfortably large, I thought you might want to take a look at this. Would obviously need knobbies:
    42 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    LAUGH. That's certainly making challenging in a completely different way.

The GS Dakar really was impossibly tall and heavy. It was set up like a Long Way Round bike. A normal GS is probably more my speed ..
    43 of 44
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    This is sounding like it might be just about right:

Link #4718
    Yermo
    11 years ago

2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Review - Motorcycle.com

2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Review, Motorcycle.com review, photos and videos of the 2012 BMW On-Off Road.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufactu...
    44 of 44
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Of course there's always the winter option

Link #4721
    buffalo
    11 years ago

4 Minutes Of Frozen Squidliness :-)

A social networking site built by Yermo on his formVista platform mostly for a few of his geek and gearhead friends.

http://yml.com/fv-f-1-6395/4-minute...