Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Soundtrack for ridingSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 9
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    As some of the members of this forum know, I like to listen to music when I ride. Seeing the post on "flow" made me think of this as there are some songs that play in my head whether or not I'm listening to them when I'm really in the zone - riding, driving, working, shooting, etc. I thought it would be interesting to have a thread of what we like to listen to while in our own headspace whether it's while riding or not (I know there are a few who absolutely don't like listning to music while riding for whatever reason - speaker quality, wind noise, distraction...whatever, that can be it's own thread if a debate on it is desired). this is about the music we like to listen to when we're alone. I'm always interested in hearing new things so a side benefit is a nice list of candidate tracks

In order to keep it manageable I'd like to restrict the lists to 10 albums only. they don't have to be a 10 best, 10 favorite, or anything like that. I've chosen mine to simply be representative - I actually have 26 albums in my "on bike" playlist and buttloads more in total. Some people say I have eclectic tastes and I'm sure all my friends here do as well, I can't wait to see what you listen too when it's all about only what you want to hear (hmm, do our choices say anything about us?).

Format= Artist, Album

Here's mine...what are yours?

- Foo Fighters, Echoes Silence Patience & Grace
    - Five Finger Death Punch, War is the Answer
    - Pink Floyd, Animals
    - Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
    - The Verve, Urban Hymns
    - Shooter Jennings, Electric Rodeo
    - Alison Krauss & Union Station, Live
    - The Cars, The Cars
    - Radiohead, the Bends
    - Bob Seger, Live Bullet
    2 of 9
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Hmmm. As many know, I don't typically listen to music when I ride. I don't even really like the talking on the gadgets all that much despite how incredibly useful they are for group rides.

But I have experimented a bit with listening to music on the bike. For short rides I don't mind it.

Having said that, off the top of my head I think I would choose:

Simon & Garfunkel - Sounds Of Silence
    Rush, Fly By Night
    Rush, 2112
    Van Halen, Van Halen
    Metallica, The Black Album
    Robert Palmer - Sneakin' Sally Through The Alley
    Richard Thompson - Rumor and Sigh
    Little Feat - Waiting For Columbus
    Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses
    The Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace With God

Now you've got me thinking about music and "Motorcycle MIxes" ... not to hijack a thread but what songs might a motorcycle mix tape (to use an archaic term) consist of?

Richard Thompson, Vincent Black Lightning (of course)
    Rush, Red Barchetta
    Rush, Fly By Night
    Rush, Making Memories
    U2, MLK
    Little Feat, Willin'
    Ozzy, Crazy Train
    Metallica, Fuel
    Metallica, Wherever I May Roam
    Led Zeppelin, Ramble On

Thoughts?
    3 of 9
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Wow, I'd really have to think about this to get that specific.

For me, (at a macro level anyway) this ties back into flow (see my other post), and whether the flow of any music I'd listen to would seem work in harmony with/enhance my experience of the flow of the ride.

I've got nearly 1400 songs (and climbing) on the IPOD ATM, and I tend to jump around through them based on my driving experience and my overall state of mind at that given moment. Which I guess doesn't really lend itself to a fixed list of artists or albums...
    4 of 9
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Duncan, going back to my intial post I'm thinking less of a specific list and more of a representative sampling Limiting it to 10 is just a way to limit scope creep LOL.
    5 of 9
    John St John
    11 years ago
    I like instrumental music when I ride. The mood changes often, but my preference not to have the music put thoughts in my head is pretty constant. Instrumental music helps me get into and stay in the "flow".
    6 of 9
    Matt
    11 years ago
    My musical choices vary a lot by my mood- agressive, playful, sad. I tend not to listen to whole albums much. I do find that 'sing along in my helmet' type songs are common, or really heavy rhythm- here's a few:

Lyle Lovett, Church
    Robert Earl Keen, Swervin' In My Lane
    Stiff Little Fingers, Fly the Flag
    Wiseblood, Stumbo
    Big Black, Kerosene
    The Sweet, Ballroom Blitz
    Blotto, My Baby's the Star of a Driver's Ed Movie
    Clash, Train in Vain
    Elvis Costello, Pump it Up
    Joe Jackson, Got the Time
    7 of 9
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Hmmm. Instrumental music. That may very well be a possibility. Like John I don't like things interjecting thoughts into my head when I ride but I had not considered instrumental music or classical as a possibility. I'll have to give that a try.

I find myself wondering if I shouldn't add support for some kind of music service on the site.
    8 of 9
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    "...I don't like things interjecting thoughts into my head.." Do they compete with the voices?? LOL
    9 of 9
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    rshaug wrote:
    "...I don't like things interjecting thoughts into my head.." Do they compete with the voices?? LOL

Laugh. Yea, exactly what I was thinking.