Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Renaissance for starter bikesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 11
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    This could be the best time ever to be a new rider... I've been watching the reviews of the latest 250-class of bikes either out or coming soon and it is simply astonishing how good they've gotten. When I first started to ride it was with a Bultaco, followed by various weird cast offs until finally my first "real" motorcycle, a black 1978 Suzuki GS550E and it was awesome. Bikes like that stayed pretty much the same for a long time while the top dogs, first 750s and then 1000s, were where the R&D went. Those same top bikes though became further and further away from what makes for a good starter bike, or intermediate bike. They are focused, fast, and really easy to get into real trouble with regardless of the electronic nannies. Now, there are finally really cool and really competent beginner and intermediate bikes available for every taste. Some of my favorites:

Starter bikes:

- The new Kawi Ninja 300,

- The Honda CBR250R,
    Link #4571
    rshaug
    11 years ago

2013 CBR250R Overview - Honda Powersports

If you re looking for a smart, capable and fun way to enjoy life on two wheels have we got a bike for you: the all-new Honda CBR250R! The new, fuel-injected CBR250R offers everything you want

http://powersports.honda.com/2013/c...

- The upcomming new FZ250

Intermediate bikes:

-The Honda NS700,
    Link #4572
    rshaug
    11 years ago

2012 Honda NC700X First Look- Honda Adventure Bike Reviews- Photos

Honda has finally jumped back into adventure biking after a longtime absence with the new 2012 Honda NC700X. Check out the First Look review and photos at Cycle World now.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2012/01/2...
    , this is a revolutionary bike with a ton of solid R&D. Genuinely GOOD accross the board.

-The BMW GS800, why even bother with the 12 when this is so good (for a LOT less)

- the Suzuki SV650, maybe the best all around sporty bike ever

-the Kawi Ninja 650, most of the goodness of the N1K without the same potential for large scale "bad things"...even has ABS

There are many more than just these and I have no doubt that the fine members of this board have lots and lots of opinions on this subject. The simple fact though is that this is truly an amazing time to be a new rider.

Quick thought...there are plenty of people who will say that almost any bike can be a good starter bike, and that "250s" are too small for commuting/weekends/tracks/hills/whatever. Don't listen, go check them out. A ninja 300 can go 120MPH, 0-60 faster than your car, tear up a back road like crazy, and get better mileage than a Prius. And they are CHEAP - to buy, to insure, and to run. Folks don't NEED a 10,000 sqft house for 3 people, and you don't NEED a 1000+cc motorcycle. Start with something that is entirely within your comfort zone and where the margins are high. That way you will LOVE riding from the beginning and you and your bikes can grow ni the sport together. Believe me, the only motorcycle people who would ever give someone crap for starting on a reasonable starting bike are exactly the folks you should never ride with. Ride your own ride - always and from the beginning.
    2 of 11
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I think the argument of 250 cc bikes as too small is true for previous decade tech. The new bikes are a lot more advance and the motors are much more powerful.

The 250 nighthawk they teach you on at msf is ancient tech and definitely underpowered. Plus there is almost none existence of braking power. But looking at the stats of the cbr250r it can definitely be a fun bike
    3 of 11
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Nah, start on a 1300.
    4 of 11
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    It really depends on the size of you stick. The larger your stick the higher the displacement... Hahaha
    5 of 11
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Here in Victoria, BC everything is more expensive, from the motorcycles to the gas to the insurance, which makes it harder for any biker to put a bike on the road, whether they are a beginner or an experienced rider who doesn't have much in the bank.

I see these smaller bikes more as a simply affordable way for people to ride.

Last week I had a nice long ride with a fellow who had to borrow a bike, because he hasn't yet saved up enough to buy his own (he moved here from Australia and couldn't bring his bike with him). Not that he's going to buy a 250, but a decent used SV650 would suffice.

Around here you even see a lot of the Honda CBR125R, which costs less than a lot of scooters.
    6 of 11
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Now that I'm home and looking at Cycle World, I see what sparked you Rob. I'm digging that NC700X a lot. Looks like a great commuting bike.

Did you notice the ad for the Ninja 300 inside the cover and then on page 17 speculation about whether we'd get the 250 or the 300. Writing staff ought to stop by the ad department once in a while.
    7 of 11
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Hard to believe now that my starter bikes were a 100cc Yamaha enduro, and a 175cc Honda Dream. The technology has come a long way in a good direction on the starter class bikes.

Let's hope this burst of new bikes helps to pull more people in to riding.
    8 of 11
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I took a look at a CBR250R and have to admit I was impressed. It does look like it would be a fun bike and would tear up the Gap.
    9 of 11
    JerryUncaged
    11 years ago
    I ride a '75 Honda CB125s. Bought it to ride country back roads, save $ on gas and insurance, look really cool, and the simplicity of a single carburetor and cylinder. It can't really keep up on the highway and I may have to go a little bigger or lose weight. Have owned larger bikes before.
    It was built before Honda and the rest made the shift to compete in larger displacements, that you mention. So it has a front disk brake, a fancy thing at the time. They only put a disk on the front for 2 years of this model before reverting to all drums again.
    This was a problem when I needed a front fender. The fender bracket is different with a disk in front. There are a lot of CB125 bikes and parts from other years, and eBayers often don't differentiate the year correctly for compatibility.
    A modern bike of the same displacement might have enough power, but I'm incurably retro. I need chrome fenders, spokes, and the unreliability that comes with points and a 6volt system.
    10 of 11
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    @Jerry Welcome to M-BY-MC! Thanks for joining.

I find myself thinking having an old school CB250 or 360 might make for a good cheap trainer bike but man I hate carburators
    11 of 11
    JerryUncaged
    11 years ago
    My advice is to avoid the CB360. They go for less than the venerable CB350 or CB250, but have problems. The cam chain tension system I believe, was not externally adjustable and had issues. Some years were recalled for a cam chain tensioner fix - if the fix was done on those years, they stamped an * at the end of the serial number. You'd have to know which years to know if the * should be there, and still, I'd just avoid that situation.
    I read an article years ago in a motorcycle magazine which included the CB360 among their "10 Worst Motorcycles Ever Made."
    Any other Honda of that vintage, as far as I know, is a good bike.
    An injected motorbike? Wow, I need one of those.

Sorry, the stamp indicating recall service done may have been a : not an *