Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Cold Weather RidingSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 8
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    For those few of you who have not yet experienced the glory that is an electric vest on cold days, I /strongly/ encourage you to pick one of these up:

Link #4523
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Aerostich WINDSTOPPER Electric Vest :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear

A unique blend of common sense engineering, ultra-compactible design and careful craftsmanship. Key technical features that make an Aerostich vest your best choice: A slightly shorter, thinner heated collar that fits your neck better and slides under a ja

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-...

Counter-intuitively, an electric vest will keep your extremities warmer because it keeps your core body temperature up which keeps your blood flowing.
    2 of 8
    John St John
    11 years ago
    I tried the Aerostitch vest, and found the outer cloth was superb, but the Electronics and wire routing out the top of the pocket were just wrong. In order to use the Powerlet adapter, I had to order an extra adapter that gave me a mile long cord with three connections. Also, I found the sizing to be a little small and unforgiving.
    So, I returned it, and got the Gerbings vest. The material and collar on the Gerbings are not as nice, but the connectivity to the bike is vastly superior.
    3 of 8
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    I've had an aerostich/kanetsu for several years now. I remember the sizing was not what I expected to be, but once I sorted that out, all was well. In the fall and Spring months, it lives on the bike--what a difference the vest makes in cold weather, along with heated grips...
    4 of 8
    John St John
    11 years ago
    Second the difference a vest makes. I won't leave home without it. But, I live in New England, where it can get pretty chilly in the mornings - even in July.
    5 of 8
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I have borrowed a few times the aerostich vest from Yermo. I have to agree the fit is not the best.

Check out the new age stuff "mobile warming" battery operated
    6 of 8
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I'm not familiar with how far battery operated vests have come. Do they have an option of plugging them in if the battery is drained?

I can just imagine being 200 miles from home on a 32deg night and having the battery die. That would suck.
    7 of 8
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    Seem to have good reviews. I don't own one yet so I don't know. There is a car charger option that can easily be adapted for bike. I will have to try it out. Won't know until we try. Or "I try"
    8 of 8
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Does the charger power the vest or does it just charge the battery? I think that's the key issue I'd have with it.

If it can't be plugged into the bike and used when the battery is dead I'd say it's probably only useful for around town light duty usage.