Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Deoxit?Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I talked to Steve up at Bob's BMW about my ignition problem. He suggested going through my ECU connections and reseating everything.

Duncan mentioned I should use Deoxit contact cleaner on these connectors to clean them off. Looking on Amazon, however, there are various kinds.

What's the correct kind to use?
    2 of 7
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    You want to go to or call Mark Electronics in Beltsville and explain your application to them--they should be able to suggest the appropriate variety (IIRC they only offer one or two that would apply to your situation)--or you can come grab my can. You might want to seriously consider dielectric grease for the critical connections as well--if I'm not mistaken, that's commonly used to protect critical connections on automotive electrics.
    3 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Duncan, what is the part# on the can you have?
    4 of 7
    Ian
    11 years ago
    I've used CRC QD Electronic Cleaner, which is a 4.5 oz. spray can. Seems to work fine without any harmful effects.

And I've got a tube of Permatex Dielectric Tune-Up Grease (85g), which has a fine, pointy spout allowing for easy application of small amounts. Also seems to do what it's supposed to.

I wish I could say that I had a problem and that these products solved it for me, but the problem that caused me to buy these in the first place turned out to be a broken wire and they don't fix that!
    5 of 7
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    I have Gold G5 (flushing action)

There's also Gold GN5 (quick dry non drip)

and Gold G100 (no solvents)

My part number is G5S-6.
    6 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Awesome. Thank you!

(And this is a clear example of the kind of post I want to be able to 'tag and save' in the next version of the software ... working on it.)
    7 of 7
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    NP--deoxit's been very useful for a number of electrical issues I've encountered over the years.