Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Tail Bag Search/SuggestionsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 18
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I'm starting a new job that will require me to bring my laptop to work every day. As such I need a tail bag for the bike that will do/have the following:

Hold a laptop and generally act as my briefcase
    Contain straps for over the shoulder carrying
    Be either weatherproof or have an integrated raincover
    Is easily removed from/attached to the bike

My search so far has not turned up anything but somebody out there must have scratched this itch.

Suggestions greatly appreciated.
    2 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    More often than not I've seen that kind of thing as a tank bag, not a fail bag although I do have a vague memory of seeing something in Motorcyclist that was a hard briefcase that could be attached to a rear rack ...
    3 of 18
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    "fail bag". I like that.
    4 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Laugh, clearly a freudian slip.
    5 of 18
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Did find this: 1

A bit pricey and no rain cover but meets many of my requirements.
    6 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    yea, the one I saw is similar but was a hard case set up as an actual water proof briefcase.
    7 of 18
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Ok ordered the Wolfman Moto-briefcase and got a rain cover from them that is custom fit as well. $172 delivered.

Got both from 1

Apparently the name is not accurate.
    8 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I've found that a briefcase (well, laptop bag anyway) plus bungy net works great. Use a waterproof stuff sack for when it's wet. If looking for something permanent there is a givi tail bag that matches your saddle bags.
    9 of 18
    Ian
    11 years ago
    I'd be concerned that the laptop would get damaged from getting bumped around on the back of the seat.

I use a backpack that is designed for laptops, which includes a nicely padded laptop pocket and "shock absorbing" shoulder straps. I don't see the exact same model on the company's website, but there are similar models:

Mine is most similar to this one:

and I would recommend it.
    10 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Ian, great point that I failed to mention. I use a bag that has a padded area for the laptop, no issues in the last few years. The padding part is important though, even with todays laptops that park the heads etc.
    11 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I've used a large folded microfiber towel as a base to rest the laptop in the tankbag on for years top absorb shocks and also to keep the laptop raised a bit and away from water. Took it all the way to Deadhorse and back, no issues.
    12 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Yermo, I'm counting quite a few places in this thread where there could be links to the "Mile-by-Motorcycle" store, as fullfilled by Amazon.
    13 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Indeed.

I'm planning on putting together a "what I've been working on and vision for the site" article before too long to start getting some feedback on the concepts.

It's a tall order for one person to do but I have to admit I'm starting to make wicked progress getting the code refactored into something more modern. When I'm done I'll have a pretty feature complete CRM, CMS and integrated Iscalable) social networking platform.

But in the end I'm focused almost exclusively on getting something into everyone's hands so that we can ride more much better rides.
    14 of 18
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    The Wolfman comes with a removable laptop sleeve in addition to the padding that the bag has. Not to mention it will be on a padded seat and...oh yeah, my bike has a rear suspension.

I guess nobody actually looked at the description of the bag I bought.
    15 of 18
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    How could a simple "description" possibly compete with an ingrained "opinion" LOL
    16 of 18
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Padding or no, it would be a rough ride on the back of the Monster. You guys' sport touring bikes would be much smoother.
    17 of 18
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Looks like everyone is going to be meeting here at the house so we can bypass Westminster and take a nicer route up towards Catoctin.

We may have 5 bikes this time.
    18 of 18
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Um wrong thread. Lol