Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
R1100S SitrepSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    The R1100S is now all back together. It was immediately obvious during the process of putting it back together that the new lower triple clamp fixed the problem.

The handlebars appear to be straight but I have not yet test ridden it.

The lower triple clamp main bolt has to be held in place with a 6mm allen key while the nut is tightened down. The torque spec is 96 foot pounds. Unfortunately once I reached 91+ foot pounds of torque on it my allen socket broke violently.

After looking at it at some length considering that it's torqued very close to spec and has locktite red on it, Yun and I agreed it should be ok. Getting the allen key remnant out of the center bolt would be challenging without removing the lower A arm.

Having said that, it's something I'll keep an eye on. I may, in an abundance of caution, take it up to Bob's and see if they have any special tools to get the allen key remant out of the bolt so the torque can be checked. But again, I suspect it's fine.

Upon firing the thing up it did have a nasty gasoline leak which turned out to be loose fuel lines hose clamps.

I suspect the bike will be ok. I'll take it on a test ride soon to make sure but I can already tell the front wheel spins much better than it did and the handlebars look and feel straight.

I'm not sure if the forks were bent or not but given that the impact was sufficient to bend the lower triple clamp I suspect they are probably bent if not damaged internally.

Parts costs were:

$85.17 Valve Cover slider and spark plug cover.
    $485.99 Set of used forks on EBay from Imperial Sport Bikes
    $159.99 Lower Triple Clamp.

Total: $731.15
    2 of 3
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Since this is a safety concern, you really need to put a couple hundred thousand miles on it to make sure it's okay. That's really the only thing to do. I'll try to help out if I can.

Edit: Glad to hear the problem appears to be solved!
    3 of 3
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Any time.