Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Riding Saturday or SundaySubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I'd like to go riding this weekend. Michael Milner, who just picked up a sweet R1200GS, floated the idea.

He lives over in Manassas, Va. I was thinking if we could sync up schedules we could meet him near his place and then head out towards 211 and points West.

It's only about 50 miles or so from there to Skyline. Lot's of good roads out that way.

Michael is a new rider so we'd be running at a coaching/beginner pace.

Any takers?
    2 of 25
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    I'm game. Only if you use your Sena
    3 of 25
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    I might be able to swing this. About what time would we be aiming to leave in the morning?
    4 of 25
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Possibly. Saturday I may have availability. However, I received the following:

The Virginia Department of Transportation will close multiple lanes of I-66 west at the Capital Beltway this weekend from 9 p.m. Friday, Aug. 24, through 5 a.m. Monday, Aug. 27. Crews will be performing demolition, excavation, paving and roadway markings for the 495 Express Lanes Project.   

Motorists can expect 30 minute delays and are strongly urged to use an alternate route during the weekend construction.  

For full details, including the four phases of work, visit: 1  

All closures are weather permitting.
    5 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    It might be a riding filled weekend. I haven't heard from Milner yet on a time, but I suspect if we do Saturday we'd go fairly early. I have to be back in College Park in the early evening on Saturday.

Separately, I heard from the Bob's BMW sponsored racer, Jeremy Cook, who encouraged me to come up and watch him race at Summit. He offered to let us hang out at his canopy. That could be really interesting. If he's not completely swamped, he's a fountain of motorcycling knowledge. So I'm thinking of heading up there on whichever day we don't head into Virginia. He's racing both days.

And yes, Yun, I'll be running the !@#$~!@#$#% sena gadget so I can hear you guys chatter in my helmet. #%$@$# privacy invasion !@#%$ harshing my peace #$!@#
    6 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    It's looking like Sunday might be the better day to go watch the races at Summit:

7 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Correction: Jeremy will have a Hospitality Tent at Summit.
    8 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Tentative plan, pending feedback, the College Park contingent meet at my house at 10AM on Saturday to head over to Manassas to meet Milner at this house. ETA there around 11:15 or so depending on traffic.

If Josh, Rob or anyone else in NOVA wants to join us let's pick a place to meet over in that area somewhere, preferably a Starbucks.

Then let's head West towards 211 and grab lunch somewhere along the way.

I'm not proposing that we hit Skyline drive, just ride around the area.
    9 of 25
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    I can suggest a better meet-up spot, depending on whether folks are coming from the North or South to zip code 20112. What's the consensus?
    10 of 25
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Bummer, sounds fun. I'm heading back to England on Sat for a few days.
    11 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    From the North, Yun and I are a definite. Duncan a may.

Down your way, Rob's a no and Josh is a maybe.

So my thought is to pick a spot. I'll text you once we're under way which I hope will be around 10AM or so.

Which bike will you be riding? The R1200GS or the Monster?

I think on Sunday I am going to head up to Summit to watch the races.
    12 of 25
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    Actually I'm a no for sure. Because bimmerfest is on sat. I think you got the days mixed up. Sunday I was in for sure.
    13 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Oops. Memory Fault. Happens with age.

Sunday, want to ride up to Summit with me?
    14 of 25
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    I'll be taking the R1200GS.

Due to Manassas Battlefield events and I-66/Beltway construction, it might be best to avoid that area. How about meeting at George Hellweg Memorial Park (14420 Bristow Road Manassas, VA 20112 )? Wilson Bridge to I-95 S will bypass it. You can take either the Rt. 234 exit from I-95, or if it's terribly backed up, you can bail earlier at Dale Blvd. or even Prince William Pkwy. and work your way over.
    15 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Sounds good to me. I'll text you when I/we leave here Saturday morning.
    16 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Weather forecast has changed significantly. They are currently calling for a 40% chance of rain tomorrow.

Bummer.

I haven't been on a decent ride in so long now that I'm up for riding even if it's in the wet.
    17 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    This is getting very old. Now, according to weather bug, the chance of rain tomorrow is 70%.

It's looking bleak.
    18 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Thwarted by excessive rain again.
    19 of 25
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    At bimmerfest Aberdeen md no rain yet. Been here since 830
    20 of 25
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    You're probably good for another few hours but rain is heading north. It's not raining here yet but looks like it could start any minute.
    21 of 25
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    and while they were calling for 40% today yesterday, now they're calling it 60%--yet I see sun outside. Arrghh.
    22 of 25
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Raining here in Hoodbridge.
    23 of 25
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    yea, I pretty much just ignore the forecast, unless its actually raining, or that they say there is a huge thunderstorm coming.

by the time we accommodate every weather variable, and then account for our schedules and then account for how we feel and then account of the alignment of the stars, we be lucky to get together one time in a year.
    24 of 25
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    It never rain yesterday at bimmerfest. We had a few dribbles here entering back into CP, but not enough to even put the top up.

But because of the overcast, it turned out to be super awesome, since we weren't baking in the blacktop heat.
    25 of 25
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I like clouds. Keeps me cooler(I know, how could I possibly get any cooler! :-)).