May 2013 Deal's Gap Reservations MadeSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    101 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Well, that would be a first, now wouldn't it?

Don't forget to clear your GPS tracks before the trip. I'll be taking one but don't have a good place to mount it on the K100RS when not using the tankbag. Hopefully, not too many days after we get back, I'll be able to install the maps code and we can collectively tag roads/places/etc.
    102 of 117
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    T-36 hours. Been a heck of a week (am typing this from the airport in Charlotte) and am very much looking forward to getting on the road Sat morning. Looks like I'll start and finish packing some time tomorrow night.

It's a shame that the weather report is looking a little mixed. Weather looks like it's going to be almost exactly like last year so remember the cool gear and lots of water. Mon - Weds are looking like hot and humid with chances of rain/t-storms every day.
    103 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Both bikes test ridden, gassed up and ready to go. I pick bruce up from BWI at 12:45.
    104 of 117
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    T-25 hours until departure. 

Changed the FJR oil last night so in theory I've got two bikes ready to go.  Maybe I'm still hedging a little...

I hope to get to Cycle Gear today to look at the Alpinestars base layer stuff and maybe buy it.  If anyone needs anything let me know before 11:00 via text.  I'm going early. 

Yermo are you bringing your laptop?
    105 of 117
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    T-23H

Meetings all day, looks like will be sorting and packing tonight. jpcfjr Will you be home this afternoon? I want to drop off the Heat Out gear I picked up for you and pick up the stand. It would be around 4:30/4:45. Also, I don't remember if I saw the AlpineStars gear in stock at the Springfield Cycle Gear.

Just a thread FYI - I'm thinking of planning a "laundry run" on Weds to cut down on how much will need to be taken. Especially if it's going to be hot and humid.
    106 of 117
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    I'm home all day except for the next two hours or so.  Any time after 1 I should be here.
    107 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    jpcfjr, yes, I will be bringing my laptop and likely a spare 1TB drive.

Check it out, Miles By Motorcycle mentioned in a Deals' Gap Facebook status update. (Not sure if this is going to show up unless you have a facebook account)

108 of 117
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    I'm home and packing, having sorted most of the electronics last night. I've picked up both a heat out and a sedici base layer. We'll see how those work out. But I suspect we're going to find out.
    109 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I picked bruce up from the airport. We are now packing as well. 

The plan is to have dinner at Piratz around 8PM.
    110 of 117
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    T-14H

Am just finishing up some work and will dive into packing, shouldn't take too long. Everything is a go for an 0900 departure from jpcfjr house, then BRP down.

See everyone in Wytheville tomorrow
    111 of 117
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    I'm pretty much packed...just need to mow the lawn. 

Looking at the weather map, we WILL be getting wet on this trip. Pack accordingly.
    112 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Both bikes packed. 

The Northern Contingent will be meeting at the College Park Ihop at 09:30. Yun Lung Yang and AGrip are invited to join us if they want to.

Electronics sorted. Bruce will have communications thanks to AGrip who has loaned him her Sena unit for the trip. Thanks Audrey!

See you guys in Wythesville.
    113 of 117
    rshaug
    10 years ago
    jpcfjrI plotted out our course for the first leg, and then what timing looks like from Wytheville for the full crew to the Gap. Have timing estimates for both: 
    Link #6271
    rshaug
    10 years ago

R&J GAP 2013a - Google Maps

Find local businesses, view maps and get driving directions in Google Maps

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa...
    114 of 117
    jpcfjr
    10 years ago
    Topping off the battery.  Must mean there is not much more to do.
    115 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    I've looked through a bunch of photos over at photoreflect and picked out a few that I thought were pretty good:

I especially like some of the close group shots that killboy got. It really highlights the trust we have in each other as riders.
    116 of 117
    buffalo
    10 years ago
    Holy Smoke! What great shots
    117 of 117
    Yermo
    10 years ago
    Deal's Gap 2013 May Trip Road Report: Fear, Communication and Feel

Link #6504
    Yermo
    10 years ago

Road Report - Deals Gap 2013 - Fear, Communication and Feel.

An evolving social network for the lucky few who travel by motorcycle and those who care about them.

http://miles-by-motorcycle.com/fv-b...