May 2013 Deal's Gap Reservations MadeSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    With a little prodding from Bruce, who we all know is not a type A personality at all, I've reserved one of the Deal's Gap Apartment rooms for the week of May 19th. Check in on the 19th. Check out on the 25th.

I talked to Kevin and he was saying that the decrease in sport riders up there has more to do with the increase in law enforcement than anything else.

He said they don't market to any particular group.
    2 of 117
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    I'm in. I've already blocked it off on the calendar.
    3 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    "/excellent/"

Video #4507
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    4 of 117
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    My crystal ball is down but I'll go out on a limb and say I'm most likely in.
    5 of 117
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Barring surprises, I'll be there.
    6 of 117
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Heh, looks like we're getting the band back together!
    7 of 117
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    And....I'm in for the full week this time. No more of this half-way BS, that sucked.
    8 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    We'll keep our fingers crossed for good weather.
    9 of 117
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Good weather...bad weather. Whatever. A crap day out on the road beats the heck out of spending hours dealing with highly educated people who can also be maddeningly stupid, while also trying to figure out why ipfw with an explicit allow-all is refusing to pass non-ICMP back across from em0 to em1, but ICMP just fine.
    10 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    ipfw and not iptables? Running freebsd?

In a perverse way, I used to enjoy diagnosing weird networking problems.
    11 of 117
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    LoL, I can count on one hand the number of my friends who would correctly name the OS based on that Yeah, BSD. I'm running an experimental protocol capture that's running in kernel space and leveraging netmap.
    12 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Huh. I hadn't heard about netmap before. Everything that's old is new again. Netmap sounds pretty cool.

I'm guessing you're running some "interesting" data rates.

Man, I tell you what, back in the good 'ol days when I did systems work I spent my life on the border between user and kernel space. Before that, doing the embedded controller stuff, everything was slinging raw bits around in memory mapped I/O.

It seems the further along I get the more removed from the operating system internals and hardware I become. Reduced to working in a "scripting" language slinging high level data structures around ... it's just not the same. It's probably been 10 years since I've written anything in 'C. <shudder>
    13 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Bumping this one up to refresh it.
    14 of 117
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    Whew...when I saw the activity on the thread I was worried it might start with "We need to cancel..."
    15 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Sacrilege!!
    16 of 117
    rshaug
    11 years ago
    well YEAH! LoL
    17 of 117
    Jay
    11 years ago
    Is there still room on this trip? I thought I saw a more recent post about who was going, but can't seem to find it. Anyway, I got my work schedules out that far and looks like I can make it.
    18 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    We have space for a total of 6 in the apartment room.

I don't know if Josh reserved an extra room. I had heard that Sean Harriman from Maine might have gotten the apartment room next door, but I will have to check.

So far for Apartment #1 we have:

Bruce
    Duncan
    Josh
    Rob
    Me

I don't think I'm forgetting anyone. Am I? if not, then it's very likely we'll have an extra space.

Please encourage people to speak up. Josh, Sean, etc?

thanks.
    19 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    And this gives me an idea for yet another feature to add to the ride planner.
    20 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    @Jay: BTW, One way or another we'll be able to make it work.

We leave here Saturday May 18th and will return Saturday May 25th or Sunday May 26th depending.
    21 of 117
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    I did not reserve a room. I did however reserve a bed in yours though!
    22 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I've sent a message to Sean. I'm 99% sure we have an extra bed in Apt #1 but will verify.

Milner had been expressing some interest in going but I'm not sure how serious he was. If he goes I suspect he would want to stay at Fontana.
    23 of 117
    Jay
    11 years ago
    I'm low maintenance - I can work with floor space and a sleeping bag if need be. Assuming there's enough space overall.
    24 of 117
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    There will, without a doubt, be that but I am 99% certain you'll have a bed to sleep in.

It'll be great to have you down there. It's /such/ a blast.
    25 of 117
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Personally I'd not want to even attempt to do the floor thing there. Remember, this is a prison cell minus the guards.

If we need another room we will get another room. Should still be time.