Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Commuter bike optionsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 16
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    I'm considering a dedicated commuter bike so I can use my Ducati Monster 696 for recreation only. My commute is about 64 miles round trip, with a large portion on I95/395 HOV lanes. I'm considering the following bikes and would appreciate any feedback:

Late-model BMW G650GS
    2005 BMW F650CS (at Bob's BMW)
    2010 KTM 990 SMT (at Bob's BMW)
    Late-model Triumph Tiger 800 ABS

ABS is a must, and seat height is a major consideration, given my 30" inseam. I'm planning to look at some of the bikes next weekend.
    2 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    For any kind of utilitarian bike I cannot say enough good things about how awesome lockable hard bags are.

Whatever bike you get I would strongly suggest making sure you have some kind of hard luggage system. I can't speak for other brands, but BMW bags completely rock to the degree that I won't own another street bike that doesn't have hard luggage on it.
    3 of 16
    Ian
    11 years ago
    Good hard bags are definitely nice to have. You can certainly get good luggage for any BMW. For bikes like the Triumph or the KTM there is also excellent hard luggage available, it'll just be aftermarket, most likely, but would probably be cheaper than the BWM luggage. Any of the bikes you mention would be good reliable low-maintenance bikes. I have consistently heard very good things about both KTM and Triumph and you can't go wrong with BMW.

Considerations include proximity of dealer/service and which one fits you the best. Insurance price maybe.

Of course, it would be a lot cheaper to just commute on the Ducati! It's not a princess, it'll take it.
    4 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Ian may be just a little bit biased.
    5 of 16
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    You could do the r1100r or r1200r. They have low seating and even factory lower seat options. Shaft drive would likely result in less maintenance when u are eating uP the miles via commuting. They will also have abs.
    6 of 16
    John St John
    11 years ago
    IMO, roads and commutes like that just don't warrant a nice bike. What's needed is presence and weather protection. Perhaps an old full dresser Harley is your best option (with stock pipes and ear plugs - of course:)
    You might consider saving the real riding for the two lane joy rides. BTW: I ride a R1150R and find the upright(ish) riding position preferable over a sportier bent, in highway traffic.
    7 of 16
    Ian
    11 years ago
    It may sound like boring highway commuting miles, but I95 and 395 in the DC area are intense. (You're talking about DC, right?) It's more like commuter combat and I would choose a bike that is somewhat performance oriented - something with good brakes and handling.

I was going to add that shaft drive would be a nice-to-have for a commuter bike, but I think the BMW 650s are chain drive, so you'd have to get a pricier model to get that, unless you get something older.

While we're at it, I should also point out that I have added grip heaters, lockable (soft) luggage, and a BMW-style electrical outlet to my Monster. All features you might want in a commuter.
    8 of 16
    John St John
    11 years ago
    I worry less about how fast I can stop, and more about how fast the guy behind me can stop. But, I know little about commuter combat on a motorcycle.

I leave my bike at home and take the company truck to work, down I-93, for my 74 mile daily commute.
    9 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    I do tend to worry about how fast people behind me can react to a stop. Generally cars can out brake bikes simply because of the larger contact patch areas.

But cage drivers tend not to be paying attention and that freaks me out.

Having a relatively light bike maneuverable bike with hard luggage would make for a great commuter. I would make sure it had heated grips and ABS.
    10 of 16
    John St John
    11 years ago
    I'm not trying to be argumentative here, but to add to the conversation I offer the following link:

In this article they found little difference between the braking abilities of a sport bike and a cruiser. (The contact patch is proportional to size -suppose)The best idea that I got from this article was how important it is to add clutch to the mix.

Hope you find it worth the read. (I did)
    11 of 16
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    Update:

I rode the F650CS, and it felt a bit like a moped. I don't think it would do well on I95/395. I suspect the G650GS would be about the same.

I sat on the KTM, and it was way too tall for me.

The Tiger 800 seems too similar to my Monster.

Next up for consideration: Ducati Multistrada 1200S Touring (with low seat). Will test ride it next week.

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions.
    12 of 16
    jpcfjr
    11 years ago
    Well it sounds like you may have dismissed Japanese bikes but I'll throw the following out anyway. I have been commuting on my Yamaha fjr for three years now putting over 60 miles a day on the bike. I do the exact commute you discuss...95 hov to 395 hov through dc and to 295. Sometimes I take the beltway but rarely these days. The fjr has been a rock solid commuter. I ride it every day unless it snows.

The fjr is large enough to be seen and provide a comfortable ride day after day. In addition it has been very easy to maintain with oil changes and brake pads the major items. My friend Jay also commutes to dc from Montclair every day and he's got over 100,000 miles on his fjr.

Because this is a sport touring bike it has outstanding power and very good handling for its size. With the hard cases, there is plenty of room for all your stuff. I could go on...

One other point; I would not even consider for a nanosecond commuting on a bike without water cooling. The extreme temperatures involved and the possibilities of sitting for periods of time without moving make air cooled motorcycles a bad idea for commuting around here.
    13 of 16
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    I looked at a number of bikes over the past few weeks, including several Japanese models, and I opted for a new R1200GS (Triple Black) with low suspension option. I got a great deal from Morton's BMW in Fredericksburg. I just rode it home today, and it will take some getting used to (compared to the Monster). Again, thanks to everyone in our virtual community for the suggestions and comments.
    Photo #714
    Michael Milner
    11 years ago
    R1200GS
    14 of 16
    Yun Lung Yang
    11 years ago
    Great choice!!!
    15 of 16
    John St John
    11 years ago
    That is a GREAT bike! I wonder, however, if a larger windshield would make long treks at highway speeds more enjoyable. I found with my R1150R that turbulence was unbearable above 55mph, without some mods. (I'm fairly tall, so you might not have that problem.)

So far, I have raised the stock screen a couple inches and added a laminar lip - and I am just about there.

I suspect the problem you'll have is neglecting your other bikes - as that one will spoil you
    16 of 16
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Congratulations!