Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Killboy Shot That Yun FoundSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Here's a shot of me down at the Gap that KillBoy.com took. Yun found this one.

Photo #670
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Blue Bike In Lean
    2 of 7
    John St John
    11 years ago
    Dang! How fast were you going?

When I see bikes leaned over that far, I wonder how fast you have to be going to keep from falling over.
    3 of 7
    buffalo
    11 years ago
    Nice
    4 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    John, if I remember that corners it's a 25mph right hander so I would guess I was doing about 45. I had a breakthrough with my cornering. I was having trouble leaning this bike over a certain point. The front wheel would push and the bike would just feel unstable. I blamed the tires, the suspension, the geometry.

After repeated runs and some experimentation, I realized that because the bike is so tall when I lean it over I feel like I'm falling and going to hit pavement so I unconsciously tried to lift my head away from the road causing me to grip the handlebars to support my weight which affected the steering.

Once I decided to "seek the pavement" and not try to recoil from it, suddenly I could lean my bike to the point of scraping pegs without the "pushing the front" feeling I was getting.
    5 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    In this photo I'm actually not leaned over the far. If I remember, I'm not even scraping peg.
    6 of 7
    John St John
    11 years ago
    You've nailed it! That's a great description of what I felt on my k100, also. I found I was wearing the front tire badly when cornering....but, now you've you've explained why. (I really do miss that bike.)

Now, with the R bike, I have just the opposite feeling, I think I'm leaning it over pretty good - and it feels great, but I take a glance down only to see I've still got lots of clearance from road to jugs. BTW: the Ztechnick engine guards (crash bars) do not fit the twin spark bikes. So, I had to send them back and downgrade to the cheapo plastic BMW scratch protectors.
    7 of 7
    Yermo
    11 years ago
    Bummer about the jug guards. I did not know that. I've only had the single spark oilhead. Sorry about leading you astray on that one.