Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Helmets.... oh the choicesSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 5
    isurfne
    12 years ago
    Ok, amongst the sea of cheap helmets that have stars, or colors or weird designs im sure there are some decent ones; single color, quiet and comfortable. Im looking for a modular helmet and communication system for between two bikes, not between bike and passenger. Any recommendations. More on the helmet than the com system. Im not looking to spend 800 on just a helmet, but i know to get quality you will have to pay, so im not shy with the budget, but im not into elaborate or extreme.
    2 of 5
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    You've opened up a can of worms nearly as big as asking "what kind of oil should I put in my motorcycle?".

Sadly you are just going to have to go to a store and try on a bunch of helmets. Even if someone recommended something to you, it might not fit your head shape. There is not much more personal an item in motorcycling than your helmet.

Generally speaking if you spend more, you get a lighter and quieter helmet. If you can get past looks, you can get year old models for way cheaper. For instance, my Arai has some graphics modeled after some famous racer and I got it really cheap from Rockheadbikes.com. I would have preferred a solid color helmet but getting the graphics saved me hundreds of shekels. Money is more important to me than looks. You'll have to make that choice.
    3 of 5
    Ian
    12 years ago
    It's true that some brands will fit your head better than others and you may find that different brands require different sizes for you. You should try some on.

That's one reason I've stuck with Shoei over the years. They always fit right and I know what size to get, making an online purchase possible.

For what it's worth, a solid color Shoei RF-1100 can be had online for as little as $400 including shipping.

One other consideration, just to make your choice a little harder (!), is if you would like a Pinlock visor. It is a fog-resistant visor that employs a double shield, like an insulated double-pane window. They only have visors for certain helmet models. I'd love to have one because I spend so much time riding in chilly to cold weather and have to ride with my visor open a bit.

Link #4810
    Ian
    11 years ago

PinlockUSA | PinlockUSA

The Pinlock fog resistant system is made up of two elements - a Pinlock ready shield and a Pinlock lens. The Pinlock is a very flexible system, allowing you to switch the color of your lens adjusting to changing weather conditions. You can click one lens out and put the next one in. Make your choice.

http://pinlockusa.net/
    4 of 5
    rshaug
    12 years ago
    I second the Shoei RF-1100, I've really liked mine. I also have a Scala Rider from Cardo Systems, , that has mile+ range for bike-bike communication and full bluetooth support. I have to echo the others though regarding helmet fit, it really pays to try a bunch on. Personally Arai helmets make me feel like my head is in a press, Shoei has always just "fit" my head best. Tehre are a ton of good quality hemets out there at good prices. HJC makes a really good lid at an attractive price. $$ can get lighter and quieter to a degree. Fit plays a big role in quiet as well, and also things like chin curtains.
    5 of 5
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    As mentioned above, try a bunch to see what feels right. Many manufacturers make different fits. For example, Arai makes models that fit round heads, oval heads, and long oval heads, since different people have different head shapes.

I've been pretty happy with Arai for quite some time now.