Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
On Wrenching: Changing Tires Yourself Using the No Mar Cycle Hill Tire ChangerSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I've gotten a number of questions about this so I put together a little article about it. Josh invited me down to see how his new tire changer works.

2 of 33
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    HA! I invited you down to help me change my tires. You got me back with that lube innuendo.
    3 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    laugh!! Well, I do believe it was close to a direct quote but with my failing memory I couldn't remember the exact words you used.
    4 of 33
    mothman
    12 years ago
    read the article:

those threaded things in the floor are called "drop in anchors"

instructional video:
    5 of 33
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Yup, that's pretty much it. Mine are Hilti brand that came from Home Depot. Pack of 4.
    6 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    There's quite the thread building up about it on the BMW Tech List. No flames, everything so far has been really positive.

I've also heard back from the manufacturer and have asked permission to publish their comments. They say it's definitely a one man job and pointed out some errors in technique we were making. On the Tech it was commented that getting the wheel not to spin is challenging.
    7 of 33
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I should point out that I knew our technique was a little off. The reason you lube the center channel of the rim is to help the bead slide there as you are using the mounting bar.

However, since we were mounting a 180/50 tire on a 5" rim, I also knew the regular rules would not apply. This was a harder than usual job because a 180/50 on a 5" rim is pushing the envelop of tire width/aspect ratio to rim width...checking a fitment guide will most likely reveal that I think but I can't seem to find one.

That said, there is more art than science to this process. I've done 7 tires and I'm still learning. Bottom line, you CAN do this. There is a reason why they give the lowest level noob mechanic the job of installing tires. It's pretty much a no brainer, thus don't try to out think it.
    8 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Yea, the manufacturer sent me a note describing where they thought we had gone wrong. They say that it should be an easy one-man job if done according to the technique guidelines.

The BMW Tech list has also had quite the lively discussion on the subject.
    9 of 33
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Agree on the one man comment. But in order to make that happen you need warmer tires and probably more patience...something I am lacking.
    10 of 33
    mothman
    12 years ago
    I know the forum is for bikes but since we are on the subject of tires

one trick for installing a tire on the rim is using a plastic trash bag without tire spoons - this works on older skinny rims that use tubes like bicycles & older bikes I don't know if it will work on wider aluminum rims & tubeless tires.

other item is a tire bead seater. if you have a wide rim you can have problems getting it seated - northern tool has them
    I bought this because the 8" rims on the truck I couldn't get the tires to seat.

Link #4562
    mothman
    11 years ago

Ame International Passenger Bead Seater 14in. 15in., Model#21010 | Bead Breakers| Northern Tool + Equipment

The Ame International passenger bead seater is the economical way to seat tough beads. Three easy steps — just lubricate, install and inflate. Durable rubber compound. For 14in. to 15in. tires. U.S.A.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...

11 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    I sincerely doubt that such an approach could work for modern motorcycle tires but it's an interesting technique.
    12 of 33
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    I think the lip is too thick/ wide on a modern bike tire to be able to feather the tire over. Looks unlikely, and the guy look like he was mad struggling to pull the trash bag out... hahaha
    13 of 33
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597

this ACTUALLY may work rather painlessly.
    14 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Damn. That's impressive! And makes a hell of a lot of sense but I think the straps might be a bitch to pull out ...
    15 of 33
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Interesting. I think I'll stick with the tried and true though.

I like the comment about using this technique to get the tire OFF the rim. Made me laugh.
    16 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    In a way it makes sense since it's just getting thrown away anyways.

And for a street-side repair option knowing about the straps approach is useful knowledge (in a "worst case scenario" kind of way).
    17 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Tire Changer and balancer have arrived. Picked up a compressor w/ Yun tonight from Sears. Now all I have to do is order some tires and find a place to bolt the changer down. Progress is being made and too much money is being spent ...
    18 of 33
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Yeah, you'll have to find a way to pay for all this stuff eventually, but consider how cool it is to have your own tire-changing gear, a good garage, a brand new compressor and above all, a reason to be changing motorcycle tires!

Speaking of which, I'm jealous of you guys with your warm weather and early Spring. We're still in the 40's with more rain than usual. What I wouldn't do to be able to wear out a pair of tires...
    19 of 33
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    not unless you have killer allergies... because... its miserable right now for me. But yea, I'm still riding. I double up my doses and ride away. ahhaha
    20 of 33
    mothman
    12 years ago
    by pure accident your thread on tires has lead me finding companies that use centrifugal balancing.

I found the ideal interesting.

Link #4584
    mothman
    11 years ago

Balance Masters

Balance Masters the revolutionary self adjusting, active balancing system

http://www.balancemasters.com/

21 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    @mothman Do you or your dad have a hammer drill I could borrow?
    22 of 33
    mothman
    12 years ago
    ya, I have a hammer drill I take you have some anchors to set???
    23 of 33
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    Tire Changer and balancer have arrived. Picked up a compressor w/ Yun tonight from Sears. Now all I have to do is order some tires and find a place to bolt the changer down. Progress is being made and too much money is being spent ...

A moderator on the Ducati Monster forum has a sig that refers to one of his bikes as: "looks like a motorcycle - really just a device to destroy tires".

I hope you get a lot of mileage out of both the tire changing gear and the tires you change with it!
    24 of 33
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I like that. Mine should say "looks like a motorcycle but it's really a device to speed me to poverty"
    25 of 33
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    mothman, I need to go pick up the correct anchors and the right size concrete drill bit. But yet, I need to drill four holes in the garage floor and set some anchors so I can set up my new tire changer.