Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
On the Subject of CompressorsSubscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    1 of 10
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    So I'm finally looking into getting a compressor for the garage. Yun suggested that I do not get an oil lubricated one.

Costco has one with a bunch of tools for cheap:

Link #4525
    Yermo
    11 years ago

Primefit Ultimate Garage 6-Gallon Air Compressor & 52-piece Air Tool Set

Primefit introduces the Ultimate Garage Air Compressor and Air Tool Kit Set, ideal for any home or garage workshop for a wide variety of tasks: including the inflation of tires, rafts, sports balls and other household items; automotive repair and maintenance; lawn equipment and household repair and maintenance; fastening and construction using air nailers and staplers (not included); and a wide variety of other tasks. The kit features a 6 Gallon Air Compressor with enough air power to run a wide range air tools for your DIY (Do It Yourself) automotive and home workshop needs. The compressor is compact and portable, and stores easily without taking up valuable space in your garage or workshop. The heavy-duty oil lubricated pump provides quiet operation and longer life than most oil-free DIY compressor options.<br/><br/>The complete set also comes with a 52 Piece Air Tool and Accessory Kit featuring: &nbsp;a Impact Wrench for changing and rotating tires, removing lawnmower blades, and other large bolt removal and assembly tasks; a 3/8 Air Ratchet for small engine, tractor, and motorcycle repair, and other tasks requiring small bolt removal and assembly; an Air Chisel/ Hammer ideal for removing rusted bolts and performing metal cutting and shearing; and a Garage Inflation Tool with built in gauge for fast and reliable tire inflation for all of your car, truck, tractor or bicycle tire inflation needs. The kit also comes with all of the necessary accessories required to connect and operate these tools and more: including a 13 piece and 3/8 Impact Socket Set, a Blow Gun with 6 various nozzle attachments for raft and sports ball inflation tasks, a dual tire chuck and female ball foot chuck, a 4 piece Air Chisel bit and spring set, an inline oiler tool with air tool oil, a 7 piece fastener bit set, an 11 piece air quick connect set, and a 3/8 x 25ft Heavy Duty Air Hose. The air tool kit also comes packed in a custom Heavy-Duty Blow Mold Case for easy storage and portability. <br/><br/><span style='font-weight:bold;'>Air Compressor Features:</span> <br/><ul><li>6 Gallon Air Tank &nbsp;</li><li>Oil Lubricated Pump &nbsp;</li><li>Air Tank Pressure Gauge and Output Regulator and Gauge &nbsp;</li><li>ETL Listed to UL and CSA Safety Standards &nbsp;</li><li>Air Pressure Operating Range - 85 to 115 PSI &nbsp;</li><li>Output 3.5 CFM @ 90 PSI &nbsp;</li><li>1 Year Limited Warranty &nbsp;</li><li>Compressor Dimensions: 22 L x 22 H x 12 W &nbsp;</li><li>Compressor Weight: 48 Lbs. </li><br/></ul><span style='font-weight:bold;'>Air Tool Kit Features:</span><br/><ul><li>Component List: &nbsp; Impact Wrench, 3/8 Air Ratchet, Air Chisel/ Hammer, Garage Inflation Tool, 13 piece and 3/8 Impact Socket Set, 7 Piece Blow Gun Set, Dual tire chuck, Female ball foot chuck, 4 piece Air Chisel bit and spring set, inline oiler tool, air tool oil, 7 piece fastener bit set, 11 piece air quick connect set, 3/8 x 25ft Heavy Duty Air Hose, Storage Case. &nbsp;</li><li>Tools constructed from heavy-duty Steel with Polished Aluminum housings for long life. &nbsp;</li><li>Sockets and Bits are impact grade rated heat treated steal &nbsp;</li><li>Impact Wrench features a max torque of 230 ft/lbs and 7,000 RPM s &nbsp;</li><li>Ratchet features 50 ft/lbs of torque and 150 RPM s &nbsp;</li><li>Chisel features 5,000 blows per minute &nbsp;</li><li>1 Year Limited Warranty &nbsp;</li><li>Air Tool Kit Dimensions: 13 L x 16 H x 4 W &nbsp;</li><li>Air Tool Kit Weight: 18 lbs.</li><br/></ul>

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...

But it's oil lubricated. What are the pro's and cons?

Any suggestions on what I should look for?
    2 of 10
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    I'm with Yun on the oil thing. I've had mine for at least 15 years and only the drain valve has been replaced and the pressure gage. No oil ever needed. It came from Costco.
    3 of 10
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    What model of compressor do you have?
    4 of 10
    mothman
    12 years ago
    most of the oilless compressor are pretty reliable.

the larger one at my parents is a craftsman
    it's a 30 gallon. it's almost 20 years old.

the little one I have is 5 gallon 3/4 hp Campbell Hausfeld max 120 psi
    this is the second one I have the first one the electric motor died but was so cheap I just chucked it & replaced it.
    it was under $100
     so I didn't care. - I use this most of the time. this will take off just about every bolt on one of my V8 cars with the exception of the pinion bolt on the rear axles. I had to go to my uncle's he had a 2 stage compressor that would go up to over 180 PSI.
    most compressor max at 120PSI and most tools are only rated around 90 PSI.

main thing if you ever get into painting you do not want a compressor with oil in it.

your air tools will need oil using either with the exception of paint sprayers.
    I use a mini inline oiler that fits on the end of my impact wrench which I use most of the time.

if your a busy shop I can see having an oil compressor/ cast iron sleeve but for what most of us use them on the occasional weekend I don't see a need for inflating and/or changing tires.

with the exception of using a die grinder or air chisel that uses a lot of air I don't need the larger 30 gallon air tank the little one will remove & install most bolts.

hope that helps...
    5 of 10
    Yermo
    12 years ago
    Thanks!
    6 of 10
    mothman
    12 years ago
    back in the day I actually bought my campbell hausfeld at costco. I don't know about the one you listed that they have currently on sale???

everything is built over seas anymore yikes???

my impact that I have is over 15 years old it was "popular mechanics" brand and at the time was sold at walmart now that is scary. Duncan has a budget campbell hausfeld impact it sucks it won't take jack off so it's hit & miss on the budget end on air tools.
    7 of 10
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    It's a DeVilbiss PAFB5025. Not sure that means anything.
    8 of 10
    Yun Lung Yang
    12 years ago
    http://www.milwaukeetool.com/tools/cordless-tools/combo...

this is what I have. Best tool money can buy. It will beat down 90% of over the counter air tools that is rated more than this. The cordless impact that I have used that is more powerful is the Snap 750ft lb cordless. But most air tool is got nothing on this.

I agree Devilbliss is the one to get for spray. They have a few combos for clear and base color guns. There is also a local place that sells them off East gude drive in rockville.
    9 of 10
    mothman
    12 years ago
    from what I found DeVilbiss makes the compressors for:

craftsman, -sears
    Porter-Cable,
    Delta Shopmaster,
    Husky- home depot

you can also get parts to repair them if you need to. those other off brand ones you can't get parts and you just throw them away.

it looks like they still build most of them here in the US in Jackson, Tenn.

10 of 10
    Matt
    12 years ago
    I've got the compressor I got at Price Club, hears ago. Oil-less and still works fine. Best thing I ever did was to put it in a shed behind the garage to get the noise out of the garage. Hook it up to a remote switch. I'd recommend not getting an oil-type compressor- you can always add oil to your tools, doubtful you'll ever be using the compressor at a duty cycle where the compressor piston needs frequent oiling. I like the idea of a higher pressure tank as it keeps the pressure at a more continuous level. A very high pressure (and volume) source is good if you ever want to seat the bead on a tire.