Miles By Motorcycle
established 11 years ago
Blast from the distant past - not sure how I feel about this.Subscribe to this blog RSS Feed
    You must be logged in and belong to this group to post to this forum.
    26 of 30
    Ian
    12 years ago
    Yermo wrote:
    Ian, I imagine you haven't gotten the issue yet. It was an article about how if you're hesitant, don't be, get on a track.

Alright, I can bring the last issue of Motorcyclist back into this thread.

Pages 32-33 feature "The Liberator", which tells the story of 30,000 Harley-Davidson WLAs being sent to the Soviet Union during World War II to help fight the Nazis. In '92 I got a chance to ride one those bikes in Moscow in its original, unrestored condition. It still started right up and ran just fine. It had a left foot-operated clutch with left hand-operated shifter (suicide clutch), a three speed transmission, and no return spring on the throttle. In other words, not the best bike for riding around a huge bustling metropolis, but I managed to enjoy a short ride and return it to its owner unscathed. It would sure be a neat bike to have around for the occasional Sunday ride. Sorry to say I don't have any photos of it. I'll be lucky if I can find the one photo I have of me with my Izh motorcycle with sidecar (if I find that, I'll post it).

That old Harley would make Yermo's recent acquisition seem like a true modern wonder!
    27 of 30
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    But Josh--have you ridden it yet?
    28 of 30
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Negative.

Still maintaining my streak of consecutive days without riding a Harley. I'm up to 16,992 counting today.
    29 of 30
    buffalo
    12 years ago
    Well, you're missing direct knowledge of a significant portion of the motorcycle ecosystem then.

A situation which should probably be rectified...
    30 of 30
    jpcfjr
    12 years ago
    Well honestly Duncan, it has not been entirely by choice. I've just not had the opportunity to ride one and/or I've made no particular effort to ride one.

I'm sure I'll get on the screaming chicken at some point.